tuna fever in Monterey

Started by e2g, July 31, 2020, 06:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e2g

I fish mostly salmon, halibut, lings. Lately some large Bluefin tuna have made an appearance and I have to get a few large reels for trolling. I have a seeker SC660xh-6' 40-100 lb and a Calstar gftr 765 40-80, with all rollers. What reels should I look at? Dont want to regret being undergunned so willing to spend the cash now vs the agony later.

So far my research has me looking at Avet pro ex 30 or 50 or penn visx 30 or 50. Any recommendations between the two or others that I should look at?

Swami805

Any of those will will work. Bigger is normally better especially trolling, you can dump a lot of line fast.  I'm partial to Penn, They sure have upped their game with the newer Internationals.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

100 pound line class would be the minimum.  a makaira 20 or international vsx/vixs 20 with a united composites viper or seeker osp 2 or seeker 2x4.

130 pound line class would be preferred.  a makaira 50 or international vsx/vixs 50 with a united composites invictus or seeker osp 3 or seeker 3x5.

friends don't let friends fish with 80...... 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Quote from: alantani on July 31, 2020, 09:56:00 PM
100 pound line class would be the minimum.  a makaira 20 or international vsx/vixs 20 with a united composites viper or seeker osp 2 or seeker 2x4.

130 pound line class would be preferred.  a makaira 50 or international vsx/vixs 50 with a united composites invictus or seeker osp 3 or seeker 3x5.

But 80 is all I got! 

Gfish

An expensive new reel would probably be worth even one big Bluefin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

e2g

SoCalAngler

BFT are rarely caught on the troll so a bait/jig reel and rod should be what your looking for first. The larger model BFT for the most have been caught on the kite, sinker rig and some on flat fall type jigs down south. With the kite and flat falls/jigs you can get away with heavy line especially leaders on the other hand with bait setups the fish have been more line shy. Sometimes they won't even bite 40 lb test bait setups.

Good luck on your hunt.

David Hall

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 01, 2020, 05:19:54 PM
BFT are rarely caught on the troll so a bait/jig reel and rod should be what your looking for first. The larger model BFT for the most have been caught on the kite, sinker rig and some on flat fall type jigs down south. With the kite and flat falls/jigs you can get away with heavy line especially leaders on the other hand with bait setups the fish have been more line shy. Sometimes they won't even bite 40 lb test bait setups.

Good luck on your hunt.

In the past week im guessing around 2 dozen have been caught between Carmel and Half Moon Bay, everyone that I have heard of has been caught on the troll with the majority coming on such things as cedar plugs and broomtails.  So the "usual" catch is simply not happening.  they have been biting close to the boats as well as deep behind them. 

e2g

Quote from: alantani on July 31, 2020, 09:56:00 PM

and here I was thinking 80 lb was the minimum so "going heavy with 100"

Swami805

I heard daisy chains and spreader bars were working too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

David Hall

I searched the canyon for 10hrs straight this past Wednesday, never marked a fish, only saw a few birds working and never saw a jumper, trolled DTX minnows, cedar plugs, mackeral, had everything set up for flatfalls, poppers and surface irons as well as balloons, no love for the Long Hall on that day but we wont be giving up, just have to wait out the weather now and hope theres fish to be found as we head deeper into summer and sneak up on my favorite time of year to fish the central coast.