Sabiki...

Started by Aiala, August 04, 2020, 05:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quick question for the Sabiki rig expert(s): What's the best hook size (from 2-14) to take on an 11-day? Or, is it best to bring an assortment?

Gracias!

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

If you make bait it'll probably be in Mag bay.  I use #6 and they work fine.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I'd bring an assortment, 6 for sure and some tiny ones for tubes, big ones for cabalitos. Murphy's law applies, whatever size you don't have will be the one you want
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

I've never seen a cabbie on my 10 days.  They're the standard bait out of Puerto Vallarta.  Cabbies are tough, fly 'em under a balloon for hours then bring them in and put them back into the bait tank and use them again.

Swami805

11 days might include the lower banks, Murphy's law. A couple bucks and they're small to stash.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

I'm with Swami.  Bring a few different sizes.  The rigs are cheap. - john

MarkT

Hopefully an 11 day does go to the lower banks!  They'll still probably stop at Mag bay to make bait.  I've caught pretty big scad macs on the #6 hooks even though they aren't highly regarded/desired.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to use a little bigger hook to be on the safe side.  I pay more attention to the strength of the Sabiki's main line and drops.  I hate having a bunch of hooks ripped off while making bait.  That's even happened at Cedros the last couple of years.  My 10 that leaves at the end of Sept probably won't hit the lower banks but hopefully my 10 in early Nov does go down there!  I'm taking heavier gear for the 2nd trip just in case.

Aiala

Excellent feedback, gents, greatly appreciated! I will bring sixes, maybe some fours and eights just to be prepared.  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

funhog

.....get the sabiki's rigged with heavy (30-40#) line. On my 11-day trip to the Alejos Rocks, several large Yellowtail were caught on the heavier rigged sabiki's  while making bait at night.