Penn #9 Levelwind Getting Stuck

Started by CFish, July 17, 2020, 01:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFish

I have an older Purple side plate Penn #9 Levelwind that a friend gave me to look at.  After taking it apart and going through it well, I was pretty content with how it came back to life after some lubrication until I checked the freespool.  The spool spins nice and easy but the problem arises when pulling out line, the Levelwind tends to get stuck when it gets to the right side of the reel.  A good quick pull and it overcomes this bind and it gets back to normal until the Levelwind cycles back to this spot again but this is not going to be acceptable during regular fishing.  The Levelwind and entire reel functions perfectly on the retrieve but this free spool issue is frustrating.  Any insight on this one?

Thanks guys.

Rancanfish

Pawl assembly may have gotten dirty, or the screw came loose a bit and slips.  If loose ,the pawl may be damaged.  Take it out and check the pawl closely.  Make sure it's squeaky clean and then lightly oil.  I clean the heck out of the worm guide too.

If that doesn't help it may be replacement parts time.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mhc

Sounds like the level wind pawl is worn down and needs replacing (part 47-109) - you could probably put a thin shim under it to get by until the replacement turns up.

Mike

PS: And what Randy said - check the parts are all clean and free running first.  :)
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

Some of the maroon reels from the early 1960's do not accept the newer worm even though they have the same part number.  I think the end is not milled the same but can't recall exactly.

Anyway, try a new worm, carriage and pawl all at once.  When any one of them starts acting up it quickly ruins the other two.  Out of curiosity, check the condition of the spare pawl.  If the spare pawl was put into service it means that someone was fighting this problem before you.

The Peerless levelwind is notoriously problematic.  They become nice reels when you finally give up and throw the levelwind away.

-steve

Lingwendil

My 209 was doing the exact same thing. Back off the tension on the adjuster on the right side and see if that helps. Loosening mine a bit made it work perfectly.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)