Kids today: No appreciation

Started by TJAndrews, July 21, 2020, 01:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

My 7 year old wore out his little Pflueger underspin.  The rod is pretty sweet.

I moved him up to the Mitchell 308.

Ron Jones

I love the 308. Whatever you are doing with it is low stress.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

happyhooker

I enjoy fishing that much more for knowing a little about the gear I'm using.  All the reels I use have been taken apart, cleaned & put back together by me, and I know what's going on there.  Many of my rods have either been built by, or repaired & improved, by me.  Like fishing with friends, not strangers.

Frank

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: happyhooker on July 24, 2020, 08:05:30 PM
I enjoy fishing that much more for knowing a little about the gear I'm using.  All the reels I use have been taken apart, cleaned & put back together by me, and I know what's going on there.  Many of my rods have either been built by, or repaired & improved, by me.  Like fishing with friends, not strangers.

Frank

I think you perfectly diluted down how many of us feel about fishing, and why we do the obsessive / addictive things we do when it comes to fishing gear. It is an addiction I will happily feed.

TJAndrews

Quote from: happyhooker on July 24, 2020, 08:05:30 PM

Frank

I pour my own sinkers and make my own spinners, too. Got into that many years ago when we started drift-fishing in the St. Lawrence River. You lose a lot of terminal tackle that way, especially when you're still learning. It gets expensive - fast.

Spinners work well for that kind of fishing, especially willow leaf spinners. My most productive design the last few years has been a little number I copied from my mother a dozen years ago. Almost feels like she's back in the boat with me when I tie one on.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 22, 2020, 04:05:26 AM
.... When Quicks were being built, the economics were different. Because of the labor involved, even the cheapest reels were a days waes or more, and most people lacked the disposable income that many enjoy today.

That reality means we are doing better, it just creates a different mindset that what many of us grew up with.

The Man

Well that may be reality & truth.... but my jaw tightens as I step,  moving forward in spite of it ;D  ... Jeff