2020 St. Lawrence fishing trip

Started by TJAndrews, August 02, 2020, 02:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

The thread of our 2019 fishing trip was well received, so I thought I'd try it again. A slow start because of the weather, but I promise I will bring up using my Quick reels before I'm done.
This photo is of our boats, and how we load them to trailer them up here. Notice how the smaller boat is on the bottom. That's because it is the heaviest aluminum, but it has the added advantage that if it rains the stuff inside stays dry. I also think it's more aerodynamic than one open boat, but maybe that's just me.
We had a scare this year. The Jeep developed a noise that seemed to be coming from the torque converter, and it was getting worse. We had it towed to a local transmission shop. They gave a listen, and decided it wasn't coming from the trasmission, but from just ahead of it. They said it was either a cracked flywheel or worse yet, a bad connecting rod. Both big bucks to fix, but the flywheel not quite as bad, so we had them take a cover off and have a look. What they found was three bolts had loosened up. They tightened them, took it out for a test drive, and the noise was gone. The bill? $40. Whew! The guy here at the camp said we should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

Gfish

Sounds like a good/honest shop. Same thing happened to my Dad's Merc. Grand Marquis. Between that and several other issues, including the typical Ford front brake rotor warpage( just think of putting the brakes to big'un and having the metal drag washers warp from too much heat!), I said no more domestic vehicles.

Lookin forward to more St Lawrence River/Quick reel stuff!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TJAndrews

Nothing so far, I'm afraid. Weather isn't cooperating. First day the wind was in the northeast, blowing right up the river, and the fish almost never bite then. Yesterday it rained off and on, and the wind was still in the wrong direction. Today the wind direction is better, but it's far too high.

Sigh.

TJAndrews

Finally! Got me a walleye, 21.5 inches long. Caught it with a 331 on an Ugly Stick. Not large by local standards, but legal. It'll make some tasty fillets.

oc1

Yeah, you're hard core Mr. Andrews.  I'm curious about what it takes to keep those old outboards running.  Don't they start loosing compression after a while?  Do you service them yourself?
-steve

TJAndrews

Quote from: oc1 on August 03, 2020, 07:19:58 PM
Yeah, you're hard core Mr. Andrews.  I'm curious about what it takes to keep those old outboards running.  Don't they start loosing compression after a while?  Do you service them yourself?
-steve
Mr. Andrews was my father. I'm Tom, or if you prefer, TJ.

Compression isn't usually a problem, as long as the engine was run with enough oil in the mix. On these 50's OMC motors, that's 24:1. Starting in the mid-60's it was 50:1, but 24:1 won't hurt them, either. What usually goes bad in them is the ignition coils. The insulation on the OEM coils would crack and let the secondary windings short out.

There is a wealth of information about old outboards in the forums at https://forums.iboats.com/

BTW, there was a second walleye today. Same length as the first, but felt a good 1/2 lb heavier.

David Hall

Most excellant adventure Tom cruising that waterway is one of my bucket list items..  I'd like to see Quebec from the waterway and go all the way to Montreal. 

BradH

What part of the river were you fishing?

Gfish

Used to hear about that river all the time when I's a kid. It was THE place for big Muskies.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TJAndrews

Quote from: BradH on August 04, 2020, 04:18:43 AM
What part of the river were you fishing?
Just downstream from the Ogdensburg/Prescott International Bridge, at Galop Island. We'll range from the bridge to the downstream end of Galop Island. We fish the NY side of the river exclusively, as we only have NY licenses. And this year, I hear both sides are especially vigilant about that sort of thing because of covid concerns. Big sign at the entrance of the bridge that only essential traffic can cross.

Won't be any fish again today. The remnants of a tropical storm are coming through, and at my age I know enough to come in out of the rain. Posting an old photo of the camp from the driveway at the top of the bank. If you look closely you can make out the end of Galop Island at the top right corner.

Lunker Larry

I fish the St Lawrence regularly for muskie. It holds huge fish.Got my first Tiger muskie (pike muskie cross) on season opener.
If memory serves me right, compared to a lake which may have up to 10 species of fish the "Larry" has something like 110.
Gin clear water and lots of structure to cast and troll.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

TJAndrews

My mother caught this nice northern pike 16 years ago.

TJAndrews

Just cannot catch a break with the weather this year. I managed to get out for a little while this morning, and picked up this 14-inch smallmouth. But now the wind is back up and it's just too rough for our small boats. Maybe later...

TJAndrews

OK, this is more like it! A smallmouth and two walleyes this afternoon. The smallmouth is 18 inches long, one walleye is 23 inches, and the other is 26. That's one heavy stringer for only three fish!

TJAndrews

A photo of the bass with the 331 for size comparison. They grow 'em chunky up here!