6x12 Floating Dock(Rail Ideas?)

Started by jgp12000, August 02, 2020, 09:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Gobi King

how about some aluminum pipe stock with hole drilled through  at for corners and use anchor rope through them as the rails.
you might have to fab bases for the pipes to attach to the deck.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

jgp12000

I got it in the water but it helps to have good friends,my buddie borrowed a 40ft flatbed trailer from his bro-in-law I picked the dock up with 2 nylon straps and lowered it onto the trailer.Then He backed the trailer in the pond and it floated off.Easier than I thought.I put a 55lb 42in Minn Kota trolling motor on it and it moves out ! I caught 2 bass on it last night while trying out the new motor.

Mandelstam

Looks good!

I've never dealt with a fishing platform before but with railings in other areas. As mentioned before, wood post with rope would definitely look good.

This is what we sometimes use on playgrounds. Some slimmer dimensions but same principle could look good. Polyhemp rope for durability.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

jgp12000

Mandelstam,
That looks great!I paid a guy to do my big dock it has rope on the walk way with copper post caps.He burned up a drill trying to drill thru the 6x6 posts.He got it done though, just curious what you use to drill thru those big posts?

Mandelstam

Quote from: jgp12000 on August 12, 2020, 11:06:21 AM
Mandelstam,
That looks great !I paid a guy to do my big dock it has rope on the walk way with copper post caps.He burned up a drill trying to drill thru the 6x6 posts.He got it done though, just curious what you use to drill thru those big posts?

These posts come factory made and I think the cable is 65mm (2.5"). Here's a screengrab from the catalogue.

For your platform I think it's definitely possible to scale down the dimensions of both posts and cable. Cable like that isn't cheap if you buy it new. At least not here. Maybe possible to find used though?

One thing I'm thinking about too and maybe it's just because I'm used to working with public spaces where everything needs to be up to code and super safe, but make sure it's trustworthy and can handle someone putting their weight to it. Having no guard rail instead of a guard rail that collapses as soon as you put some weight on it is probably safer in that case.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Swami805

You could use a spade bit to drill the holes. Use a good drill with a cord if you can. We put cables in trees and have to drill holes thru some pretty thick diameter branches with hard wood. Cordless are easier to use 30' up but power and battery life were a problem so we went back to corded and a generator. Constantaly backing the bit out and clearing the shavings helps too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Thanks for answering my questions.
DUDE! You're living my dream. I learned to bass fish by sneaking into a local farm pond as a youngster and ever since then I've fantasized about my own pond. Talkin--designed and built the way I would want it for max bio-diversity and game fish production. And yes a dock. But that's a great idea/addition, a mobil dock!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

Yes my dream also,for years I had to ask permission to fish at different friends' ponds and funnie thing is a lot of pond owners don't even fish??? I know now it also comes with a lot of grass cutting,property taxes, & maintenance,but I can fish everyday.I only have to ask myself do I want to go fishing?Well of course I do ! The dock is "Landshark" ready after all it is sharkweek...I just need rails to keep me dry.

Lunker Larry

Having a post or some support near you on that would be a good idea just in case you need to grab something to maintain your balance. Just a thought.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

jgp12000

I finally got the rails done,I used powder coated hogwire and my buddie cut dadoes in the posts.I used wire clamps at the bottom and will add rod holders soon.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Great job!

When you get your safety equipment, fire extinguisher, rod holders, and some lightweight chairs onboard — you will be ready to go.

Plus cup holders...

Nice work and engineering.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Oh yeah dude, you could go all-out! I see an umbrella table, outdoor chairs, a grill, and a portable submersible ladder for the swimmers. What else?...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

After all this yellowjackets have decided to build a nest under the dock on top of one of the floats.I dumped soapy water on them for my 1st attack.I am now googling DIY yellowjacket traps.One got me last week, I think they are the worst ! Fred you had me at cupholders...Gfish sounds like you would make it a party barge,great ideas!