Penn Handle Disassembly

Started by MeanMachine, August 03, 2020, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

Is this a Penn handle that can be disassembled?  I would like to use the arm but the pivot cannot screw into my reel.  It's for a Penn Battle 6000 reel. Thanks for all your help!

Aloha,

Damian

RowdyW

You would have to drill out the rivets to disassemble the handle. Then the rivet is not replaceable. If you just want to change the knob you can drill out the rivet and get a replaceable knob from one of our members (Black Pearl) who has a site in the directory or available on ebay.         Rudy

MeanMachine

Thanks.  I would need the arm and knob portion intact.  The pivot is where I want to disassemble.  I'm wondering if that pin is threaded?

MeanMachine

I started off drilling.  :-\ Then tried using a small punch since my EZ out wasn't able to remove the "screw".  It came out using the punch. It wasn't threaded after all  :-[

It a good upgrade for the 650SS. 8)

The new handle doesn't come close to the bail wire.

Swami805

What did you replace the rivet with? I have one with a chrome handle that's pretty ugly from corrosion and not comfortable anyway, that would make a nice upgrade
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

I'm with Swami - what did you use?  My first guess would be a spring roll pin? - john

MeanMachine

Thanks guys!  I have the original screw part that came with the 650SS.  The new handle arm had to be redrilled and tapped so that screw would fit.  So in the mean time I put a SS finish nail in there.  I didn't have a small tap and die set but plan to do it correctly soon.

DB 

philaroman

OK, I need to do the same thing: 99.9% sure it's a straight, solid "perma-peen" w/ no threads
so, if I use a spring roll pin & I have strength concerns, can I reinforce it somehow?
maybe, drive a small piece of drill-bit butt through the center of the pin, after it's set ???

MeanMachine

My pin was damaged due to drilling but maybe if you can remove it, you have the part right there.  Also might need to put a very thin SS washer between the arm and that spacer just to get the perfect fit.