Cedros Sportfishing, August 30 to September 3, 2021

Started by alantani, August 05, 2020, 03:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Hardy Boy

Glad that worked out for you Cortez !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Todd, we'll miss you on the trip this year. Stay healthy and get ready to return in '22

Hardy Boy

Thanks for that. Mark said he would only  miss ......................... my 18 year old Canadian whisky !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Quote from: Hardy Boy on June 09, 2021, 04:04:33 PM
Thanks for that. Mark said he would only  miss ......................... my 18 year old Canadian whisky !!

Cheers:

Todd
Yeah well, there is that too!  ;)

rogan

Packing for Cedros, and trying to make weight. I think I have it figured out. Talked to Rosie a couple days ago and she really helped, now I can't wait to go!

MarkT

You really don't need too much: Hooks for fishing Macs, plastics and stickbaits for Calicos, yo-yo and surface iron for YT and everything else too. Sabiki rigs for making bait and a couple torpedo sinkers and you're good to go. Something to troll can't hurt too.

I'm taking 6 8/0 circle hooks, some lead heads/plastics, a few hardbaits, 6 iron (2 yo-yo, 4 surface) and some Sabiki rigs and sinkers. I'm taking a spool with some extra 50# mono and my dykes/duckbills/belt. JX Raptor/UC Predator 76 for Macs and yo-yo. TranX 500 hg/Phenix psw809xhj for surface iron. Lexa 400/Phenix psw809h for plastics/hardbaits.  Bring it on!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rogan

Mark, thanks for all the great advice. I am trying to match your rod and reel recommendations, i found a 929h blank locally and i am having it wrapped for surface iron, which goes with my PC 501, a swimbait rod rated 1-6 with an old school upgraded daiwa ps55, and a custom wrapped black steel 7'6" 30-80 with a tricked out pro gear 3500, not a two speed, but its what I own right now. And I am taking in all the tackle recommendations and triming it down as suggested.

MarkT

There's no problem with 9' rods on the plane. The 3500 would work great. Plenty of the AT guys use tricked out old Penns... 4/0 and 6/0 so 2 speeds are nice but not necessary. You might feel different if you latch on to a 40#+ but it's nice to find out. My son got a 45# YT on a JX 6/3 w/40# and 37# and 25# YT on a Curado 300 while fishing for Calicos. I use a 50# leader for all purposes down there... they aren't shy! My baitcasters have a 3' leader on the braid and I use a Tactical Angler clip to make it easy to swap lures.  All my tackle and reels will fit in a backpack.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rogan

Wow, a 37#er on a 300 curado! That was a fight. I should be able to get it all in my 3600 sized plano bag, reels included. Then a small second bag for clothes and extras. I appreciate your comment about "its nice to find out", thats exactly what I want to do. I've been waiting two years for this trip, I'm stoked.

jurelometer

My take on those  9 and 10 foot rods :

I prefer 7 to 7.5 feet rods  for casting irons from a panga.  Especially on  Cedros.  Shorter rods can handle fish better next to to the boat,  less leverage working against you on the fight, and giving up that extra 10 to 20 yards of casting distance compared from a extra long rod can actually be an advantage.  Many of the yellowtail spots on Cedros are over relatively shallow hard bottom, so a hookup over a long cast means that a yellowtail can reach the rocks without  taking any line.  I am a believer in not casting any farther than necessary on  yellowtail boils in shallower water.   And a seven  footer is more useful for also trolling and live baiting.   I don't want to get on a panga with more than two rods, especially if I am sharing the boat.

The fish don't usually hang as far away from a panga as they do from a big long ranger, so  a long cast is usually not needed to reach the boils.   Just cast to the front of the boil.  And you can always move the boat to get a bit closer.   Pangas are very portable :)

Just my opinion, which is probably not shared by the majority  of the SoCal crowd.

-J

rogan

J,  Thank you for the response. As usual, your perspective is well thought out, sound reasoning to back up your experience. Part of my decision to use the 9 footer is based on it's what I already own in the right weight class.  I have a 7.5' and 9' from the same maker that are both 20-30lb class rods, which is a little too light for this application, hence my desire to use the 9' 20-50 929H.  In my casting practice with these lighter rods, I noticed that the 9' does not offer me a noticeable improvement in overall casting distance at my current level of skill versus the 7.5'. Same lure on both rods gives me 40yards +- 3 yards. Occasionally I get it right, good timing, clean release, good thumb control and I hit 50+, but it's not consistent. A 7.5' would probably be a better choice for the reasons you mentioned, but as Mark mentioned earlier, it's fun to find out on your own! Next year might be completely different setups, but then I will a new budget to work with too...

rogan

Today I finally completed a 5 month project at work.  It's been a lot of hard work, physically and mentally, with minimal time off.  I am really looking forward to this trip. 

My plan is drive out to SD from AZ on Sunday morning(Aug 29th), arriving around noon. It seems in years past, the hotel of choice is the Vagabond. Will this year be a repeat?  I'd like to book a room now and be prepared with a place to stay on Sunday night.

Rich

Wally15

I booked a room w/ 2 double beds at the Ramada on Rosecrans-1 block away. $144 + tax. The Vagabond was renovated over the summer, name changed to Sea Harbor Hotel, and the nightly rates almost doubled to $190 + tax. $50 bucks difference isn't a deal breaker, but Sea Harbor wasn't accepting reservations when I made my travel arrangements back in May.
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor