Hello and please point me where to go

Started by mikecollins86, August 06, 2020, 04:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecollins86

Hello All.

Finally having time to get back into fishing and have many (don't we all!) reels that have sat in the garage for years.

I want to slowly get them clean/lubed and would appreciate a point in the right direction for a rank newb as to the website and what to read first/order of things.

Thanks so much to Alan for this place!!!  You rock!!!!!!

Mike Collins

scrinch

Hi Mike. Welcome to the board. If you don't have a specific question, I think a good place to start would be to do a search for the first reel that you want to work on. You can look through the board index for the reel you're first interested in, or you can use the search function for that reel. Try to find the tutorial for that reel for starters. Just jump right in! (Use the search function toward the left side of the page. The quick search bar on the right side doesn't work very well.)

oc1

Quote from: scrinch on August 06, 2020, 05:16:45 AM
Use the search function toward the left side of the page. The quick search bar on the right side doesn't work very well.
Wow.  I never noticed a separate search tab on the left.  And, it works too.  Thank you very much for that.
-steve

philaroman

search tab on left is "global"...  whole forum

Quick Search box on right is restricted to whatever Section/Topic you are currently "in"

Search Icon (magnifying glass left of Quick Search box) will also get you to Global/Advanced Search

philaroman

also, somewhere there's a good list of rudimentary supplies
maybe, by Fred (foakes)...  maybe, in the Tools & Lubricants Section... 
that's a good place to start, anyway, to figure out what general
shop/household items you already have, before you go a-shoppin'

happyhooker

Greetings, Mike, from Minnesota.

This site has ton of stuff about general reel work, as well as many overviews of specific reels that have been disassembled, cleaned and lubed to make them operate properly. Browse around on topics such as disassembly tips, cleaning methods and lubes to use, then check out specific reels you may be interested in.  Maybe you can find an "easy" one for a first attempt.

Any specific questions, don't hesitate to post something.  Most of the folks here enjoy helping out and sharing.

Frank

Brewcrafter

Welcome Mike!  You're in the right place, all good tips above.  Once you select your first "guinea pig" reel project, more than likely you will find a tutorial, but don't be intimidated if you cannot find the exact tutorial for a given model.  At the risk of oversimplifying, due to the manufacturing process many reels are "families" that share similar traits.  For example if you go through a tutorial on a 6/0 Senator, you will be just fine doing a 4/0 since they are pretty similar.  Heck, it can even cross brands sometimes, I redid my buddies old Diawa Sealines and from a mechanical standpoint they are virtually like a Senator.  And regardless of what reel/reels you want to start with, I would be stunned if there isn't someone one the forum that hasn't torn one apart and will step up with advice.  Again, welcome and be sure to share your adventure, there are many awesome folks here that are happy to help. - john

Benni3

alantani

for all the traffic we get, this is still an incredibly low budget place, and the lack of sophistication in the search engines is one sign of that.  if you have trouble finding what you want, just ask!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Hi Mike, if your going to service your reels make sure you have good tools, & your screw drivers have to fit really good, so they dont slide of, & scratch anything, good luck, plenty of good people here that will help you no end, & welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

quabbin boy 62

dennis from 2nd chance tackle on youtube has helped me a lot, has step by step instructions aimed at folks just starting out