Need CW203 DLX Clutch Spring

Started by Lunker Larry, August 06, 2020, 05:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Would anyone have a clutch spring for the Okuma CW203 DLX? Okuma is slow at the best of times but with Covid they are now apparently months behind. I've been trying for the part since March.
I had part number issues with Okuma before where I received the wrong part. After talking with parts guys I usually get it figured out. I have had two springs sent to me from two different repair depots with the same part number and it is not the spring for this reel. I eventually mailed the broken spring to them in June with the above info in the hopes of getting something back. Nothing heard since. If anyone has the spring - 18010017 - I would certainly appreciate if it can be spared no matter the cost.

While I'm at it. Same thing with a A/R pawl for a CW303 DLX. Got two of them under part number 12010037 and they were incorrect. One was too big and the other required a spring. I need the one with the brash guide fins.

Frustrating as can be so if anyone has a part used or otherwise that they can part it would be appreciated. No freebies. I'll pay all costs.

Here's a pick of the clutch spring showing the difference insize from one I was sent to the size of the broken spring.

Thanks all.
Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Donnyboat

Gee Larry, would`nt it be possible to cut the end of the larger spring of, to required length, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Lunker Larry

The loop is too big. Sacrificed a couple springs trying to make one but no luck.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Lunker Larry

I ordered that one. It is the one in the picture. Not the correct part. Same for a AR pawl they sent.
That's the issue I've been having with Okuma. Part numbers not matching the schematic part number. Last year I went through this with a side case. Spoke to Okuma and the parts guy was great. He called up a couple schematics until the side case resembled the one I was looking for. The one I needed had a collar like most reels have for the clutch bearing, bellevilles, whatever. The part they sent did not, yet, it was the same part number. Not sure what's going on but terribly frustrating.

Porthos

The Okuma star drags of the same size/type typically have compatible internal components. I can swap parts between my CT-15L and my CLR-203L (same plate diameters, different spool widths in this case). The CLR's silent AR pawl and the CT's dog/spring were interchangeable as well because the plate molds Okuma used had the same structures on the internal side.

Did you read my post here?
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31216.0

The side plate I ordered was actually a CT and not a CLR because the CLR plate was out-of-stock.

My suspicion is that something similar applies to the CW reels as well. Here is the spring for the CV-20DLX:
https://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/a-1-okuma-18010011-clutch-spring/

It looks like a match to the springs in your first photo more so than the one for:
https://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/a-1-okuma-18010017-clutch-spring-for-cold-water-cw-153dlx-203dlx/

If you peruse the descriptions of some the the other parts (worm gears, main gears), Tunas Reel notes that the parts in question were identical but had different part #'s based on production year.

What did Okuma charge you for the spring they sent you? If it was free (this has happened to me when I ordered 1-2 SMALL parts in the past or was just $5.00 for shipping when less than 8 (?) SMALL parts, it may be worth a shot to ask for a CV's 18010011 spring.

YMMV...

Lunker Larry

Thanks Porthos but the loop still looks too large. Just so it is clear, the broken spring in my pic is the one in the micrometer. A few that I have tried that were close pop out when used .
I appreciate your suggestion and your time on this. Good idea on checking out something compatible.
Thanks again.
LL

Maybe We Can Fix It

This part has been discontinued, the handle side plate mold has been changed in a couple of model series that shared use of this particular spring, and why you are receiving the inappropriate part with the reoccurring correct part number.

Unfortunately the reel would need to be upgraded to the new sideplate assembly.

Quote from: Lunker Larry on August 11, 2020, 05:14:56 PM
Thanks Porthos but the loop still looks too large. Just so it is clear, the broken spring in my pic is the one in the micrometer. A few that I have tried that were close pop out when used .
I appreciate your suggestion and your time on this. Good idea on checking out something compatible.
Thanks again.
LL
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Maybe We Can Fix It on August 28, 2020, 01:31:19 AM
This part has been discontinued, the handle side plate mold has been changed in a couple of model series that shared use of this particular spring, and why you are receiving the inappropriate part with the reoccurring correct part number.

Unfortunately the reel would need to be upgraded to the new sideplate assembly.

Thanks for the explanation. That's the issue I've been coming across. Pretty frustrating BUT hopefully Tuna Troubles has come to my rescue. The spring is in the mail so I've got my fingers crossed. Add in the U.S. dollar exchange rate on the part and shipping, this little spring gets pretty expensive. With no choice I'm not complaining.
Hope everyones search for parts proves fruitful and have a great day.
LL