SSG 6000 reel?

Started by wideopenoutdoors, May 01, 2020, 01:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

I recently bought a lot of reels, I was mainly after the 9/0 senator that was included. I am not a Shimano person and have zero idea what reel this is. Does anyone have any information on them? Price? My internet search didn't turn up much...
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

philaroman

looks like yours is original '87:
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Misc/SHIMANO%20SSG6000%2887-71%29.pdf

...not, modernized '97:
dunphysports.com/forms/warranty/schematic/SSG6000.pdf

budget model, but may have some value because it's big
most Shimano rear-drags only go up to modern 4000-size (same as older 3000-size)

may have rare/desirable parts (aka, "what I would look for"):
  • many A/R parts between body & rotor should be same as better old models & getting harder to find, esp. in bigger sizes
  • complete rotor/bail assembly should be compatible w/ some better old models, even if individual parts are not
  • bushings on main gear may be brass (nylon is more likely -- prob. brittle/worn after 3+ decades...  for use, standard Shimano bearings should drop right in -- for stability, even more so than smoothness)

open her up & show me some BRASS  ;D  & we'll talk trade
[/list]

wideopenoutdoors

Ill take it apart this weekend...

philaroman

don't do it on my account...

looked it up & bushings on the main (RD 0490) appear to be nylon

that drag will be a headache...  not worth the effort, unless you're going to use the reel

handi2

Those are actually very good reels. It may have plastic bushings that can be replaced with bearings. You can Service  the reel but don't mess with the rear drag as already stated. Also don't use much grease inside.

You can use the Baitrunner tutorial to help you along.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: handi2 on July 05, 2020, 07:55:34 PM
Those are actually very good reels. It may have plastic bushings that can be replaced with bearings. You can Service  the reel but don't mess with the rear drag as already stated. Also don't use much grease inside.

You can use the Baitrunner tutorial to help you along.

Keith

Quite honestly with all the fishing trips and the sagas with my senators I forgot alll about this reel under the pile of reels on the floor... I'll look into it some more! Thanks