Some patterns I’ve used.

Started by gstours, August 09, 2020, 03:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

There is very little diversity in my life and, like the fish, I'm a creature of habit.  I always fish in two to six feet of water late in the day.  The water is clear and if it is the least bit murky then there is no use in going because the fish will not be there.  I gave up trying to find a color that works better than others.  Then I spent years just trying to figure out if dark color (olive drab) is better or worse than white.  Gave up on that too.  For the fish I'm after, the only thing that seems to matter is profile (crustacean-like) and how the jig is worked along the bottom (short hops).
-steve

Rivverrat

While I find this interesting I agree with Steve.  I've used jigs of some sort for catfish many years. For catfish of all 3 species color seems to me to be least important.  Action, depth & size are by far the most important factors I have found with the catfish in the rivers I fish. In clear water catfish may respond different.  I know their eyesight is very good even when it gets dark & there is light from the moon or any other natural source.

Call me crazy but I believe catfish can see color I have no proof other than what I've observed over the years. I dont believe all fish see color.... but some in shades of grey ?? Any one know for sure ?

gstours

Heavy jigs can be tiring and less fun, so I try to use only one that will not take off in the drift.
   A couple more here that are ho made.  Rigged lite.  These are about 8 ounces.

gstours

The other day I got a chance to fish with some friends.  I was watching of course,  and several people had these white jigs.   It was a game of chance,  butt these fish pictured were not on my rod.  Darn it...
   Learning takes time.   Butt learning is living.   Fish till you drop.🐟

jurelometer

So here is a graph from NOAA that shows the effect of water clarity on which colors penetrate the farthest:

I believe that the long bars on the right of each graph shows the color of the water as it would appear at the surface, based on depth.  At a couple inches depth, most water will look colorless, but coastal water will tend to get greener as depth increases, and clear ocean water will will get bluer. Green and blue are not the only options.  The same thing will happen with water that contains much more sediment, but then the greens are also wiped out quickly, so you get a reddish brown.  The color of the water will tell you what colors are visible to the greatest depth.

It is important to note that the amount of each color of light continuously decreases with depth, so when you see a color visible to 30 meters, that means that 1% of light waves of that color's frequency made it to 30 meters.  1% percent is better than nothing, but it is not a lot.

Also, the shallower the angle that the light hits the water at, the more light gets reflected off the water and is not available to penetrate.  So for water of equal clarity, the most light will penetrate at the equator in midday, and the least in far northern or southern latitudes early or late in the day.  And then add in the nutrient rich water in your neighborhood, and it is no wonder why tipping the jigs with bait is common.  The halibut have to search with their smell, then the lateral line.   Eyeballing the jig is just the final step. Unless you manage to bonk one on the drop :)

I think the graph is useful as a starting point, but based on local conditions,  the specific penetrations will vary a quite a bit, usually for the worse.

At the risk of repeating myself, color vision is one of the least important aspects of visual predatory behavior in most gamefish, but bringing this up is a bit like breaking the bad news about Santa...  Sorry :)

Or at least this is what I gleaned from reading up on it.  Not trained in this stuff.
Quote from: gstours on August 22, 2020, 04:51:51 PM
Here is the standard octipus.   Not much contrast or bling.  It works about the best in this color and skirt, always a bait strip is attatched on the hooks.     butt more testing is planned.

This pattern is from a silicone mold generated by Dave and his computer.   Thanks again Dave :-*

Wow!  That one sure looks super octopus-like.   Whatever you were doing for the skirt sure made a nice profile/spread.  My guess is that is what the halibut is liking  and probably not the color.

-J

gstours

Thanks again Dave for sharing your knowledge and experience.  By now I can say that I'm a bottom fisherman,  🎣  when we talk jigs we have been spacific about my fishery as we know it.
  Mid water is different,  everything is different.  I appreciate your thoughts.
Upper latitudes as you pointed out have reduced lite waves.   Our fish use their abilities to seek food and seem to be spacific as to how they find food.   It's not just chance.   
  For a long time I thought sight was the most important,  like when we are on the street or in a restaurant.
Then there is the olfactory sence.   This to me is the most important.   That's why we use bait, scents, etc.
  I've got some evidence that vibration and bottom thudding can be used to induce a feeding.
     Many lures are made to sell,  luck is good.  Getting lucky is better,  butt now what do we know?🤔
I hope others can benefit from my drivel,  go fishing,  test for your self.🏌️‍♂️