Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Fail or not this is a cool thread... Jeff

Swami805

Really cool thread, 20 yards ain't bad considering
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

Just some thoughts  ,Clearance between spool and side plate  "concentric "
Spool balance     line bore of the bearings when assembled .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Brewcrafter

Steve your work is amazing!  Not a fail!  Question, have you given any consideration to lash with the straight cut gears?  Obviously they will contribute to noise, but maybe a couple extra thousands of lash might be giving you an oscillation in the gear train that is both reducing your distance and giving you that increased "coffee can of rocks" sound?  I really look forward to seeing the next version, this is fascinating and thanks for sharing your skill! - john

oc1

Hey John.  Before casting the reel is put in freespool by pulling the handle and main gear out away from the pinion.  You can see it in the video but I forgot to describe.  Without a freespool clutch it would probably cast about a foot.
-steve

oc1

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 11, 2020, 01:50:17 AM
Just some thoughts  ,Clearance between spool and side plate  "concentric "
Spool balance     line bore of the bearings when assembled .
Yeah, all those things are a little out of whack Joe.  I can fiddle with it and get the spool to not rub.  There is a little bit of spool wobble.  You can sort of see it in the video.  Getting the bearings and spool shaft aligned may be the hardest part.  After it was all together, I had to go back and increase the play between spindles and journals.  That makes it unreliable.  It will often self-align if given the chance, but it is more susceptible to jumping out of alignment and binding.
-steve

Cor

I am amazed at what you've done here, and it sounds like you plan to continue with this project.

Many a time I've stated that its fun to catch a fish on a rod & lure you've made yourself.   You are going one step further.    I think its a great challenge and many hour of fun.   Good luck with your next design!

I do suggest that you engrave a name/logo on to the reels so future generations will know where they originate from.  Imagine someone from this site finding that pile of reels >100 years from now and posting a picture asking if anyone can identify these and the speculation that will ensue.  ;D ;D
Cornelis

Mandelstam

Quote from: Cor on August 11, 2020, 06:20:12 AM
I am amazed at what you've done here, and it sounds like you plan to continue with this project.

Many a time I've stated that its fun to catch a fish on a rod & lure you've made yourself.   You are going one step further.    I think its a great challenge and many hour of fun.   Good luck with your next design!

I do suggest that you engrave a name/logo on to the reels so future generations will know where they originate from.  Imagine someone from this site finding that pile of reels >100 years from now and posting a picture asking if anyone can identify these and the speculation that will ensue.  ;D ;D

Agree 100%. Engrave name and #. Having the story behind these reels will make them so much more valuable and interesting.
I'm amazed and fascinated by your project Steve, please continue to post updates.

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

oc1

Ya'll know, people have been making reels from scratch for about 150 years.  You see homemade reels go by every once in a while.  I recall someone over at ORCA who has a collection of them.  Homemade clocks and small steam engines are more common and are a higher level of difficulty.
-s

oldmanjoe

:D  Yer but you are on a island in the Pacific Ocean ,working under a tent .
    Anybody could wrap string around a stick and call it a reel !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

I decided to splurge on a one-piece spool.  PEEK is sort of expensive so I hate to see it all turned to shavings.  The length of the shavings indicates how nicely this stuff turns.
-s

edit: anybody know how to rotate photos that are attached from the gallery.

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on August 11, 2020, 08:49:19 PM

edit: anybody know how to rotate photos that are attached from the gallery.

Find the image in your gallery.

Click on edit.

Near the bottom of the options, you will see:

Rotate Image By Degrees

El Pescador

As J states, in the box ROTATE IMAGE BY DEGREES

type in 270

that will fix your photo issue,
Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jurelometer

A couple thoughts.  You probably thought of most of this, but just in case:

1.  Greater lash (backlash)  can sort of be approximated by moving the center distance a tiny bit farther apart.  Might be something to try with a temporary sample mount part  and some sort of screw adjuster to allow you to play with fine tuning the center distance. The gears will not be as strong this way compared to a true blacklash cut into the gears, but it looks like these gears are already pretty beefy for your purpose.

2.  Having some sort of design that allows the main gear shaft to be supported on both sides will help keep it aligned better.

3.  Bushings are generally not very tolerant of alignment issues.   Ball bearings are actually a bit easier in this regard, if you do not mind using ball bearings. The longer the bushing, the better the support, but much more friction if the shaft is not aligned.  Short bushings will wear out faster, but will be the most tolerant of poor alignment.

4. It seems to me that twisting load on the frame should not be affecting the alignment, in turn screwing up the casting distance.  There is not much load on the frame during the cast.

5.  Spinning the the assembled spool and spindle on some matched  vblocks, and/or  checking with a dial sweep indicator will show you how true the assembled spool is.  If you are drilling the spindle hole without following up with a a ream, you might end up with a lot of wander in the spindle hole. I suspect that that 3 jaw chuck is not super accurate for centering as well, so you might be better off turning, drilling and reaming without re-chucking.  Just leave a facing operation when have to rechuck to flip it around.

6. Leave those PEEK shavings out on the porch.  Some bird otr rodent can build the world's most high tech nest :)

Keep posting please-  This is great stuff!!!

-J

oc1

Thank you Wayne and Dave.  I forgot that I have a gallery and just attach by clicking on the file in my hard drive.  When you do that it does not put the photo in MY GALLERY.   Will fuss it again later.  I had to get a new computer several weeks ago and my life is in shambles.

The aluminum disc in the side of the plastic spool is for the magnetic braking that I am sure will be needed later.  :)

Gear set and bridge from a 102 year old Shakespeare Service parts reel.  That's cheating and may be that's sacrilegious but the reel was already missing parts.

I slapped red locktite on everything.  Does anyone know how Loctite works?  Is there something that reacts with the metal?  It will help PEEK bind but you can still remove it with enough force.
-steve