Carp fishing Setup. Please recomend.

Started by Riy2018, August 10, 2020, 01:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Quote from: Benni3 on August 11, 2020, 03:24:54 AM
Quote from: philaroman on August 11, 2020, 12:54:45 AM
Quote from: happyhooker on August 11, 2020, 12:03:05 AM
Benni 3, are you confident that is a common carp in your picture?  The mouth looks a little goofy, more like a bigmouth buffalo, although the fish does not look like a buff either.

Frank

Grass Carp aka White Amur
Yes sir that was a grass carp,,,,,,, ;) I think this 1 is a buffalo,,,,,,, ;D
Two fairly common kinds of buffalo--smallmouth & largemouth.  Pic might be a smallmouth. I believe they are both fighters.

Frank

Riy2018

I never had Okuma before.
Some one recommended to me SPINNING ROD CELILO model, states that it is good and light.
https://www.amazon.com/OKUMA-Celilo-Graphite-Steelhead-Spinning/dp/B005IMZI66?th=1

I dont like Amazon reviews, mostly made up.

nelz

Quote from: Riy2018 on August 12, 2020, 10:16:52 PMI never had Okuma before.
Some one recommended to me SPINNING ROD CELILO model, states that it is good and light.

Wow, that's dirt cheap, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Nothing against Okuma, but no doubt it's just one of their low end rods given the price.

I suggest you go to a tackle shop and try out a few to get a feel for what you like.

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on August 13, 2020, 03:42:15 AM
Quote from: Riy2018 on August 12, 2020, 10:16:52 PMI never had Okuma before.

Wow, that's dirt cheap, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Nothing against Okuma, but no doubt it's just one of their low end rods given the price.

I suggest you go to a tackle shop and try out a few to get a feel for what you like.
Ok,,,,,, :D i got a okuma celilo rated for musky,,,,, :o fabulous  rod for the price $39 close out,,,, :( but the guides where not braid friendly,,,,, ;) but that's ok I gave it to a friend who loves it,,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

Quote from: Riy2018 on August 12, 2020, 10:16:52 PM
I never had Okuma before.
https://www.amazon.com/OKUMA-Celilo-Graphite-Steelhead-Spinning/dp/B005IMZI66?th=1

I dont like Amazon reviews, mostly made up.

are you asking about Celilo Salmon/SH, in general?
or are you actually coming over to the Light Side  ;D
& considering the 8'6" ML, specifically?

YOU CAN FISH FOR CARP WITH CHEAP RODS
YOU CAN FISH FOR CARP WITH LIGHT RODS

!!! YOU CAN'T DO BOTH !!!

Riy2018

;D ;D ;D
Agree. I had many cheap rods in past, first rod from Models Sport and then few Shakespeare - heavy & bulky. I wasnt catching many fish or desired fish.
Years after  invested into high end Penn and StCroix Avid - the difference in handling, sensitivity & quality of guides changes whole fishing process.
Thanks everybody for recommendations. Ordering from Ebay is a big problem now, shipping is taking months.
I found few European Rod at BigCarpTackle

philaroman

also, your Hudson trib. is virtually guaranteed to have several native cypriniform species (carpsuckers, redhorse, etc.)
they don't get as big as Carp/Buffalo, but still offer better consistent size potential than over-pressured Bass/Walley
they LOVE carp bait/chum & are a nuisance (along with small carp, channels & bullheads), if all you have is big-carp tackle
with lighter tackle, all the smaller stuff is most enjoyable AND a source of large LOCAL live bait you can't buy

Benni3

8)

oc1

Not everyone has the foresight to wear a PFD to go fish in a pond.
-steve

philaroman

he just
Quote from: oc1 on August 14, 2020, 06:53:34 PM
Not everyone has the foresight to wear a PFD to go fish in a pond.
-steve

not, foresight -- EXPERIENCE: he's a POLE carper -- they always set the drag too high ;D

oc1

Roman, is it possible that the guy caught that fish before and came back with PFD, peanut gallery and video?  Some fish have a strong site fidelity.  Jewfish and bonefish come to mind but I don't know about carp.
-steve

philaroman

location, location, location -- I'm sure that's a tiny impromptu peanut gallery, by urban Chinese standards
could be Mekong cats in that river -- nuts to go no-reel w/ such strong line, even with a PFD

don't know about Black Carp...  I think commons have fidelity to established seasonal foraging routes,
rather than specific individual locations (except, maybe, resting areas & wintering holes where they don't feed much)
they can usually be counted on to come through once, or more, daily
if there's natural food or chum pile (where legal) -- they stay

Riy2018