Gluing thinner CF to make a thicker washer, how?

Started by Mandelstam, August 10, 2020, 10:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Been reading a few posts where people mention gluing CF washers together to make a thicker one.

What's the procedure to do that? What type of glue?

I'm thinking a really thin coat of epoxy to not have any bleed through?

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Cor

My first thought is why glue them?   I would first of all just double them up, maybe not grease the inside of the two, just experiment a bit.

Somebody posted on this site experiments with laying up graphite with Epoxy to make a rod with a fair level of success if I remember correctly. Maybe the resin he used would work for what you are thinking of or talk to guys with epoxy experience.

Good luck.
Cornelis

Mandelstam

Quote from: Cor on August 10, 2020, 11:11:49 AM
My first thought is why glue them?   I would first of all just double them up, maybe not grease the inside of the two, just experiment a bit.

Somebody posted on this site experiments with laying up graphite with Epoxy to make a rod with a fair level of success if I remember correctly. Maybe the resin he used would work for what you are thinking of or talk to guys with epoxy experience.

Good luck.
My first thought was to just layer them as well without gluing, but since reading about people gluing them, even from a supplier of Carbontex in Europe, I thought that just having them loose on top of each other could cause issues?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Tiddlerbasher

I wouldn't glue them, glue can leach through the weave and contaminate/ruin the friction surface. - If I need thicker washers I have only ever stacked them together

Tiddlerbasher

By the way Karl who is your Carbontex supplier in Europe? I didn't think Dawn had franchised anyone over here :-\

mo65

I have stacked them several times without any problems at all. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Mandelstam

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 10, 2020, 01:23:06 PM
By the way Karl who is your Carbontex supplier in Europe? I didn't think Dawn had franchised anyone over here :-\

Blak Dog Tackle in the UK, https://www.blakdogtackle.com/index.php?cPath=86

Mandelstam

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 10, 2020, 01:20:04 PM
I wouldn't glue them, glue can leach through the weave and contaminate/ruin the friction surface. - If I need thicker washers I have only ever stacked them together

Quote from: mo65 on August 10, 2020, 01:35:45 PM
I have stacked them several times without any problems at all. 8)

Sounds promising!

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Mandelstam on August 10, 2020, 02:23:14 PM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 10, 2020, 01:23:06 PM

Blak Dog Tackle in the UK, https://www.blakdogtackle.com/index.php?cPath=86

Ah OK. I know Russ (Black Dog Tackle) was selling carbontex - I though you had found another supplier :)

oc1

The laminating resin in carbon fiber drag material is very hard and has good heat resistance.  I think it may be a phenolic resin.  Phenolic resin is not something you could or should use at home.

Epoxy resins come in various hardness but all are softer than phenolic resin.  Epoxy doesn't have much heat resistance either and could get gummy.

Gluing them together sounds like a way to keep the CF drag disks from moving against each other.  But, how likely is that to happen and what harm can it do?  It would be much easier for a CF disk to slide against a metal disk than to slide against another CF disk so it is unlikely to happen.  We have to alternate the eared and keyed metal washers to get them to slide against the CF.  Having more surfaces that slide against each other is desirable and a lot of effort goes into making drag stacks with more moving surfaces.  

-steve

PacRat

I concur with the others and would first attempt to simply stack them without glue. This will give you more versatility to experiment (thick+thick, thick+thin, thin+thin). If you do find that you must glue them; I would recommend JB Weld original (not the quick set). JB Wels is speced up to 500 degrees f.
-Mike

RC4600

A pass along: I have a friend who manufactured CF rifle barrels did CF consulting before retiring; when ever he had to make repairs in CF he used the old stand by - super glue. Always worked. RC

Brewcrafter

One time Dawn was helping me through a project and she was pretty open that you can layer carbon fiber with carbon fiber.  The slip (drag) is always going to be where the least coefficient of friction is. - john

oldmanjoe

???  Why not add a metal washer and go for more friction surface area ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!