Gluing thinner CF to make a thicker washer, how?

Started by Mandelstam, August 10, 2020, 10:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

The reason for a thicker washer is that you can have a thicker and therefore stronger area in the center that is bound by resin.  This allows a greater load before the ears tear off (if there are any).     Gluing two thinner washers together might work in this regard, and since the washers already have a resin core, I would not expect bleed through to the outer surfaces to  be a problem.  

But if the carbon washers have circular inner and outer diameters, then there is  nothing to break off, so a stronger washer does not buy you much.

The fiber to fiber surface will have a higher coefficient of friction than the fiber to metal washer surface, so doubled up "floating" CF washers should behave the same whether they are glued together or not.  I agree with John here.

Steve is right to point out that you need to pay attention to the temp rating of any adhesive that you might use.  I think that there are some high temp epoxies out there nowadays, but they are not common.  Also water exposure.  CA glues usually lose a lot of grip over time if exposed to a high level of moisture.

And even if it the washers are eared, if the existing washers are not losing ears, then making them stronger will not buy you anything.

So a long winded way of saying that I agree with everyone else :)

-J

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea