ID 9' bamboo fly rod with 3 pc w/ 2 extra tip sections

Started by Cuttyhunker, August 13, 2020, 11:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

This 3 pc rod came with 5 sections, 2 extra tips in a very heavy paper tube with a silver outer wrap, tube cap missing, excellent varnish, only flaw decorative wrap at the bottom ferrule coming loose.  Note the hook holder near the handle moves being hinged with the threadwork  Can't find any markings, rod sections or tube.  Anyone know what I'm looking at here?
Thanks  
Doomed from childhood

Benni3

I looked at my montague boat rod and then looked online at there fly rods,,,, ;) pretty close and the horrocks Ibbotson are made the same too,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

There are folks who obsess and catalog that sort of stuff based on ferrules, winding checks, reel seats, guides, etc..  Like these:

https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers

https://whiteaddersflyfishingmuseum.weebly.com/more-early-production-rods.html

HI, Heddon, Winchester, Beaty?  Hope for a Phillipson or Leonard.  When all else fails call it a Montague and you'll be right about half the time.
-stev

Cuttyhunker

Thanks for be chiming in gents.  Steve, my wife grew up in Highland Mills around the corner from Leonard and up Park St from Hall Line.  The same type tube is coming up on the bay auctions, labeled on the missing cap section as a Monty. I'll post it on your links and see if I hit the Grail, but I suspect not.
Doomed from childhood

Gaujo

Let us know what it turns out to be!  My Gpa has a shed full of old gear from the 40s, 50s, 60s
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

philaroman

I believe they're described as X/Y (X=sections in assembled rod; Y=total tip sections included)
I'd guess 3/3, if all original, is less common and more likely to be high-end than 3/2...  should be easier to narrow down

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cuttyhunker

Bryan,
Here are a few responses I got from the Classic Fly Rod site

Re: ID for vintage rod

It appears to be a 1920 ~ 1930ish mass production rod. The hook keeper is a ring guide with a small strap that it pivots on, standard for the period. Suspect it is a Monty.

Re: ID for vintage rod

Unread post
 by TheMontyMan » 08/14/20 11:16
Looks like your fly rod was made by Union Hardware, based on the styling of the reel seat and ferrules.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man
Doomed from childhood