Is this a good deal? (Jigmaster with tiburon kit)

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 21, 2020, 12:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Dude says he's firm at 135. Worth it?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

The frame new is about $70. That reel is a Jigmaster, but a 505HS- high speed gears, double end rings, ball bearing- a significant upgrade over a 500. That's a fair price if in great shape but not necessarily a deal (no notes given about internal upgrades), but is a very nice reel for a whole lot of applications at that price. I have several. Pretty nice on kingfish, mahi light bottom fishing and should do nicely onna sail too- I'd spool it with 300yds 50lb braid and top with 25-30lb.

Rancanfish

Well, that's what the components might cost new. I have too many Jigmaster variations for it to light my fire, but you will have to make the call.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

RowdyW

Nope, that's not a deal. Lots of better reels around for that kind of $$$.       Rudy

broadway

You can do better for sure. No deal there
Best,
Dom

Bill B

Agree with the above, I don't pay more than $40 for a 500 in great shape. 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Jason, my two cents on the subject:

A 505HS in near mint condition is worth around $70.  As Thorhammer said, the 505HS is a major upgrade over the 500, and were priced accordingly.  A used Tiburon frame without the rod clamp kit is worth around $45 (unless it's an exotic color).  If you bought them separately, you would spend $115, plus you would have the spare stock base, bars and rod clamp kit.

JasonGotaProblem

Thanks guys. I will likely pass on this one unless he comes down further than he sounds like he will (i offered $80). but in the future I may build my own. Consider my interest piqued.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.