Meat Rig aka Krippled Anchovy Rig

Started by Gobi King, August 16, 2020, 02:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Yesterday on our zoom call we discussed using cut bait to troll and I mentioned in MI they sell this rig called a Meat Rig.

here it is gentlemen, next to it I found another similar rig called the Krippled Anchovy Rig.

The price of the meat rig was a shocker for me, it ran $17 ...

What other rigs are out there that one can use to troll cut bait?

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

You weren't joking about the pricing!  :o  That looks quite a bit different from what I was used to seeing for salmon trolling (and what I also think Dominick was talking about).  Unfortunately since Salmon trolling is something that I don't have an opportunity for, I don't have a rig here to show you. - john

Maxed Out

There must be dozens of different bait rigs here on the west coast. Some catch more fishermen than fish. Some use strips, and some use headless bait, and some use whole bait. Always a learning curve and I find it hard to waste much time soaking a lure that has me doubting my choice of lures while other boats are catching fish

Here are a few I found laying around. West coast of Vancouver Island is the Mecca for gadgets to make bait spin. Todd could maybe show a few and how to use them
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Who knows what works best.  I have had the most success using Pro-Troll Rotary Salmon Killer.  Check out this link for photos.  https://www.protroll.com/the-orig-rot-salmon-killer    Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

JoseCuervo

Today the ticket was a chrome Krippled Anchovy with a green Big Al's triangle flasher, a stainless dog whistle with a cannonball and anchovies. That's about 70 pounds of salmon from off Stinson Beach, Marin Headlands, San Francisco.

Gobi King

looking at the meat/bait holders, they have  a lip to give the bait a rotating action when trolled.

I remember seeing just the bait holder head for sale for few bucks a piece online.

How fast are you guys trolling the bait?

Fichigan

JoseCuervo

About 2 kts for salmon. Vary that a wee bit up or down to see what works on any given day.

Hardy Boy

Looks like a knock off of the old rys daviis herring teaser head we used 40 years ago when I was a kid and they were around before then !! Still work although you are hard pressed to find herring strip anymore. The vast majority of guys use anchovy and the teaser heads now !! Ted has the full collection it looks like.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

meat aka frozen bait for salmon is getting harder to find here in MI during salmon season, hens teeth kinda commodity. A bag of 10 runs $40 or 50.

I have been frozen anchovies at the Vietnamese store, $5 a bag  ;D

Question is will the Chinook know the difference?

2kts, gotcha
Fichigan

philaroman

serious Asian fishmongers ROCK!!!
better for freshness/size/price than any bait shop, for basic stuff like squid & clams
might have something interesting/unusual like fresh krill
razor clams, FOR ME!!!

Hardy Boy

Quote from: Gobi King on August 18, 2020, 11:49:04 AM
meat aka frozen bait for salmon is getting harder to find here in MI during salmon season, hens teeth kinda commodity. A bag of 10 runs $40 or 50.

I have been frozen anchovies at the Vietnamese store, $5 a bag  ;D

Question is will the Chinook know the difference?

2kts, gotcha

I stopped using them once they hit $ 10 Canadian a pack of 10 / 12...................... I should mail you out some ! I just use spoons and hootchies now and my catch rate has not suffered.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd