Can carbontex be cut with a laser cutter?

Started by Mandelstam, August 17, 2020, 08:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I doubt laser would cut it very well. Waterjet is the way to go to cut CF drag washers. Punch is another means.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

That's a good trick with the compass.  Much better than what I can do with the shears.
-steve

Brewcrafter

That trick with the compass is SWEETTTTT! - john

RowdyW

You can't use the point for cutting. You have to sharpen the outer leg to a knife edge first.      Rudy

philaroman

do you think one of these could hold a cut-down, budget exacto?
...or, is the leg adjustment too dinky/imprecise to even bother?

philaroman

I'm thinking, with an exacto in place of the pencil, you could just twirl from the top,
as if drawing the same circle over & over, with same minimal force
so that neither dinky adjustment is stressed

RowdyW

The machinests scriber has a screw adjustment across it to keep it locked in position. Try taking a cheap compass & draw 20-30 circles in the same spot with a little pressure. I know just what that circle will look like. A spiral of circles.

Brewcrafter

I'm in agreement with Rudy on this; the one in the video is a little more robust since it has the solid connection (the threaded adjustment between the two legs).  I've made some great circular holes in drywall using only cord and a nail for a scribe but probably not practical or accurate in this application  ;D  The Xacto Knife in the grade school compass sounds intriguing, and the theory is good, but probably not robust enough for fine work. - john

philaroman

my thinking exactly...  kept looking:
Big Horn 19251 looks more promising AND cheaper

Brewcrafter

THAT looks promising!  You're only looking to make a few. - john

philaroman

not many in each size, but not so few all together  ;D

there's gotta be an even more serious vintage version, of a "pencil compass"

just another toy to look for  ::)

philaroman

am I crazy, or is this the same tool, under different "brands", BOTH at walmart.com
(of course, the one on "sale" is $10+, while the other is <$9, at regular price)  ;)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/general-tools-842-precision-pencil-compass-includes-pencil/536024937

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-in-Heavy-Duty-Pencil-Compass/448888120

RowdyW

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on August 19, 2020, 04:05:15 AM
BOTH at walmart.com

Gulp.... I actually have one of those.  The little loop that holds the pencil in place can barely support a pencil.  It's going to give out quickly with a knife applying more pressure.  

Cutting by hand, you can figure using about one exacto blade for every drag disk cut.  It works, but the exacto metal can't take much abuse.  

You are expected to sharpen and re-sharpen the machinist scribe described above.  The finer the point the better but dragging the point on metal makes it wear out.  Like most things, the older they are the harder the steel.

-steve

philaroman

thanks, Steve: exactly the info I wanted -- what not to bother with
had various notions to whip/epoxy/solder x-acto handle to the straight-legged Big Horn,
but if the blades are too soft, that whole family of plans gets euthanized  :(

Quote from: RowdyW on August 19, 2020, 04:11:21 AM
Try Harbor Freight, they're cheaper.

HF has something REALLY interesting w/ dual carbide cutters
https://www.harborfreight.com/carbide-tip-adjustable-circle-cutter-68117.html
any reason not to use that puppy, manually ??? 
looks good for anything >1" ID...  possibly, MUCH more if the centering bit cuts CF clean