Stardust Sportfishing this Thursday 8-20-20

Started by Bill B, August 19, 2020, 12:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Just booked spots for my son and myself on the Coral Sea for this Thursday...5 spots left if anyone is interested....Sheridan??......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Good plan Bill, I'll see if I can Pull it off!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JoseCuervo

We're going to need an after action report!

Being on the water has to be better than in the heat or smoke even if the fishing wasn't great.

Swami805

We went on the Coral Sea out to Santa Rosa Island with Bill and his son Andy. Nice and cool out there with the building wind starting to blow. Really fun fishing with all the regular Denizens of the deep making an appearance. I ended up with a fat limit of rockfish and a couple lings. Bill caught a huge red snapper and a fat sack as well. His son Andy had a bit of a rough day but got some time at the rail and sacked some nice fish.
I fished a 3.5 oz jig all day and abstained from bait,great way to fish if you have A.D.D and very productive. Unfortunately my Iphone wasn't cooperating so no pictures. Bill took some, I'm sure he'll post a few later.
All in all a great day, Thanks for giving me a shout Bill!

sciaenops

Bottom fishing w/the jig definitely more interactive than squid strips. Thnx for the report

Bill B

3 hr drive home, packed the 14 lbs of filets Andy and I caught, threw the rods and reels into the shower and cleaned up.  Too tired to post pictures, we got up at 0200 hrs for the drive up to Santa Barbara fished all day with some great people.  Lots of quality fish coming over the rail, Sheridan pulled a really nice Ling but was beat out at the Jackpot by another big Ling.  My son Andy caught his first Ling today and some really good rockfish.  Not sure what the official fish count was but everyone went home with limits.  As said before a mixed bag of fish, including lings, sand dabs, chuckleheads, joker fish, salmon grouper, blue bass (really tasty!) , mackerel, red rock fish, and a boat load of white fish.  Sheridan isn't being less than truthful when he said he jigged all day, I never saw him dip into the squid bucket or anchovy trough.  

Had a great time, even Andy who was green in the gills had fun.......pictures to follow...Bill

Bill B

As promised, here are some pictures from yesterday's trip abord the Coral Sea.....

As we left the harbor at 0700 hrs the skies had a reddish hue from the fires burning east of Santa Barbara.....reminds me of the old sailor's poem of "Red skies in morning, sailors take warning"

The bluffs outside the harbor sure looked pretty...

Unfortunately no "action" pictures, I'm kind of bad about taking them during the action....but here's Andy and myself with a large rockcod and his first ling cod.  I didn't catch my first ling cod until last year and this young man caught his at 19.  

And his sack full of fish....

Bill B

As few more....

The boat reported 250 rockfish, 92 white fish and 8 lings for the day.

Towards the end of the day this large rockfish decided it wanted to come home for dinner

My bag of fish....

And a couple artsy, fartsy pictures from th 3 hr ride home.....Had a good day hanging out with my son and Sheridan.....Bill

Swami805

That picture doesn't do justice to the size of that red snapper, I do a fair amount of party boat rock fishing, that's the biggest one I've seen in a long time

MarkT

You must really like rockfish to drive from Crestline all the way to Santa Barbara for a 3/4 day trip.  At least you done did good!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

Im kind of burned out on the L.A. And Orange County boats, seems to be just tourist traps.  Knowing Sheridan was in S.B and a buddy from high school likes to fish there, annnnnndddd the wife likes the antique stores there it was not a hard decision. Plus S.B. is just another hour further and the quality of fish is better too.  Might try CISCO's or Ventura next time though, which is about 45 mins closer.....Bill

Brewcrafter

Look's like a great trip and a great haul, thanks for sharing! - john