Fly line

Started by Benni3, August 21, 2020, 03:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Ok got this 9wt it's got backing,,, ??? He took the top shot off before sending,,,,, ;) but that's ok,,, :) maybe that's not what I needed anyway for the surf and lake,,,,, :D floatble or sinkble,,,,I'm thinking RIO brand,,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

I just want your input and then I'm calling "Ricky Wagner" a orvis representative and a friend of mine,,,,, ;) he is from a probement family but after the devouse,,,,,, ??? he lived in the woods you see with his fly rod on hand and a gleam in his eye,,,,,, ;) great guy I don't care what they say,,,,,,,, ;D

Tiddlerbasher

IMHO you can't go wrong with RIO fly lines. I currently use several from the Rio Gold line.
Nice reel for the surf, probably to big/heavy for the lake - a 5/6 or 7/8 for the lake would be better.

philaroman

Benni has grass carp around him...
9/10 might be good for a large strawberry,
or small head of boston lettuce ;D ;D ;D

jurelometer

Hey Bennie!

If you look at this thread, we went into types of fly lines and matching with the rod:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31528.0

If you have a good double haul and can shoot line, the options can matter a bit more.   If not, then you will be casting mostly the amount of fly line that can be kept airborne during the false casts.  In this case, the actual brand and model of line  won't matter that much. You just need a decent WF 9 or 10 that loads for your rod and casting style.  Best way is to try some 9 and 10 weight floaters  with your rod.  Fly shops usually have some sample lines and a spot to test them, if you want to help a local business and don't mind paying full retail.  Friends with fly lines works too :)

Try both 9 and 10 weights.   You may find that you like a 10 better, especially if the rod is a bit on the stiff side and you are not loading up the rod with a vigorous double haul. "Overlining" is pretty common nowadays, especially in higher line weight rods.

A warm water WF floater line would might work best for your situation. The floater will be the easiest to cast.

If you can get a deal from the Orvis guy, there are lots of nice Orvis lines.  Somebody else makes the lines for them (could be SA?).  All the major brands, and the lines that they make that are rebranded for the fly rod companies are pretty decent, especially if you are going for an all around weight forward floater, and not a specialty line - they are sort of interchangeable until the casting skills and specific situations get more advanced.  Don't get married to a brand.

If you are already a proficient distance caster, then we would need a few more details before getting into specific lines,  like the rod model you are using and the target species, fly size, etc.   

Go get 'em!

-J

Benni3

Quote from: jurelometer on August 21, 2020, 09:58:24 PM
Hey Bennie!

If you look at this thread, we went into types of fly lines and matching with the rod:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31528.0

If you have a good double haul and can shoot line, the options can matter a bit more.   If not, then you will be casting mostly the amount of fly line that can be kept airborne during the false casts.  In this case, the actual brand and model of line  won't matter that much. You just need a decent WF 9 or 10 that loads for your rod and casting style.  Best way is to try some 9 and 10 weight floaters  with your rod.  Fly shops usually have some sample lines and a spot to test them, if you want to help a local business and don't mind paying full retail.  Friends with fly lines works too :)

Try both 9 and 10 weights.   You may find that you like a 10 better, especially if the rod is a bit on the stiff side and you are not loading up the rod with a vigorous double haul. "Overlining" is pretty common nowadays, especially in higher line weight rods.

A warm water WF floater line would might work best for your situation. The floater will be the easiest to cast.

If you can get a deal from the Orvis guy, there are lots of nice Orvis lines.  Somebody else makes the lines for them (could be SA?).  All the major brands, and the lines that they make that are rebranded for the fly rod companies are pretty decent, especially if you are going for an all around weight forward floater, and not a specialty line - they are sort of interchangeable until the casting skills and specific situations get more advanced.  Don't get married to a brand.

If you are already a proficient distance caster, then we would need a few more details before getting into specific lines,  like the rod model you are using and the target species, fly size, etc.  

Go get 'em!

-J
Thank very much I'm going for hybrids and stripers ,,,,,but maybe something for surf,,,,,,, ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Dave you are correct - Orvis lines are made by Scientific Anglers. Thay are ok but expensive.

Benni3

From this at cabela's,,,, :-\ don't if this is any good,,,, :-[ or if I should try it,,,, ;) because I got a giftcard,,,,, ;D

jurelometer

This will be a hot weather /tropical core, which will make it a bit stiff and coily  if you are fishing any cold water.  If you are fishing warm and hot only, it should work.  Tropical comes in handy if you have lots of coils lying around a hot boat deck. The deck temp matters more than the water temp.

Aggressive weight forward profile should make it easier to cast shorter distances and throw big flies, but will land less softy.

90 feet compared to 100 to 110 for premium lines, but most folks don't cast this far anyways.  Made in the USA means that this is probably made by one of the big name manufacturers, with some shortcuts to decrease cost (like making the line shorter). 

The important thing is still whether you cast better with a 9 or 10 line for the type of fishing/casting that you do.  The brand and details matters less.

-J

Benni3

Thanks very much my friends for your help and uncle sal for the gift card,,,, ;) order in,,,,,, ;D