Penn international 50TW question

Started by Lexdovar, August 21, 2020, 06:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexdovar

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased a used 50TW that appears to be lightly used and in excellent shape. Upon receiving the reel I noticed there is something going on with the clicker. The clicker is loud reeling in whether the switch is on or off. Is this normal? When pulling drag (Or in free spool) you can barely hear the clicker. Anybody have any suggestions or info on what's going on? Thanks!
-Alex

alantani

alex, welcome! 

so lots of people have become spoiled by these big reels with silent anti-reverse systems.  the old penn internationals have dogs that are incredibly noisy.  if there is any decrease in the sound at all when turning off the clicker, then what is left is the sound of the dogs.  the only way the clicker could stay on is if the click plate (screwed into the side of the spool) is loose.  that's an easy thing to check.  pull the left side plate, the pull out the spool and take a look.  can you let us know how this works out?  thanks!!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wolli

in case the clicker in the right side plate makes the noise, its result of salt inside which blocks the clicker bushing (95), click spring (62) and the click tongue (35). The tongue doesn't go back and forth anymore. Disassemble all parts, clean and grease with a soft grease. Lasts longer than oil.

To take pressure and noise off the dogs you could bend the springs slightly. Every bend must be tested to avoid later malfunctions. Before working on the springs, its recommended to order replacement in advance.

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Donnyboat

As you do it, take digital photos as you go then you can refer back to them, as your placing it back together, good luck cheers don, and leave some fish in the ocean for us.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Nick aren't you suppose to be fishing???

Lexdovar

Thanks for the info! This was my first time opening up a conventional reel other than my senators. Everything inside the international looks 10/10 clean and freshly greased as well as I can tell. Update: (I'm still learning all the terms so excuse my ignorance.) the dogs are clean and I don't mind the noise from them. The clicker seems to be functioning properly it's just very very quiet. Almost unnoticeable. I guess I'm wishing the clicker was as loud as the dogs so I can hear a shark take my bait :-\ is there any way to increase the volume of the clicker? I noticed the click tongue was pretty rounded and thinking that could be the case but not sure  ???

Robert Janssen

Those clickers are affected by the distance between the sideplate and spool. Maybe it was weak to begin with. Maybe the spring is weak. Come to think of it, isn't the plunger held in place with a nyloc nut? What happens if you undo the nut just one turn, giving some more travel to the plunger?

I suppose you could remove the click ring from the spool and reinstall it with small washers between it and the spool; that would move it a bit closer to the plunger.

I have one of those reels. I can look at it later. Tomorrow maybe.

Robert Janssen

Yeah, so i did have a look.
It occurred to me that there is a difference in clicker volume between freespool and light drag, since the spool shifts slightly to the left when applying drag.

I also noticed that this clicker is not particularly loud at all, perhaps because the cam on the plunger mechanism actually bottoms out in its slot, rather than the holes in the strike alarm plate. See pic.

So, i tried putting washers underneath the strike alarm plate,  in order to bring it closer and have it make more noise.

Yup. Works. Much louder. And the plunger is no longer bottoming out in its slot.

And, as per before, it seems to me that just looaening that nyloc nut a turn or two would accomplish the same thing almost, or putting a washer on it beneath the plunger's cam handle switch thing, whatever the call it.

Good luck. Ymmv.

Lexdovar

Thanks a lot Robert! That makes perfect sense! Do you know what size washers you used? I'll have to pick some up soon and give it a go to see if it helps. I appreciate it!
-Alex

Donnyboat

Hi Alex, when your working on the clicker, try to remove the clicker for the alloy, front plate, & get plenty of grease, around the alloy, as the alloy will corrode over time, then the hole gets larger, good luck they are a nice reel, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat