penn long beach 60 spool problems

Started by alantani, April 05, 2009, 06:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

QuoteI have an old penn longbeach 60 that broke last year.  I snagged something and tried to get my line back.  It has on old spool and the pressure was too great.  The spool end came off in the reel and it would no longer crank. 

I bought a new spool (aluminum) and bearings and just finished replacing them, however the reel drags when I started to spool line on it.  In free spool the spool spins freely.  The "dragging" seems to be related to the spool rotation and no the crank.  The crank/handle seems fine.  The ends are not cracked.

The only parts that I replaced (sorry I don't have the part numbers) was the spool, left spool bearing that is designed to adjusted by using fingers, and the right spool bearing that required a wrench to remove and replace. I did not touch the drag components or any of the screws that hold the gears associated with the handle.

I did remove the right side plate with the handle from the reel and held the spool to it and noticed that was the side that was rubbing. It seems to have a very slight gap at the top causing it to rub slightly on the bottom. There does not seem to be an adjustment to raise the level of the spool in relation to the right side plate. What am I missing....

How can I figure out what to replace next?  Any ideas?

in general........

the spool could be rubbing against one or both of the inside rings. this can happen if the frame is torqued under a heavy load. mark the inside rings with a sharpie marker, the see where/if it rubs. if that is the case, try two things. the first is to replace one or both of the spool bushings. the second is to dremmel out the inside ring so that the spool no longer rubs. i recommend against this if it can be avoided. you will create too large a gap between the spool and inside rings and line will get caught and break off. it's a real bummer when you're hooked up on a big fish.

the other possibility is that the spool was "blown." under a heavy load, a two piece spool can separate or "spread." if that's the case, the spool will rub against the bridge plate or clicker assembly, or both. to figure this one out, paint the ends of the spool, put it back together, crank it a couple of times, crack it open and see if you can find a place where it's rubbing. alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!