Bearing sizes in a AVET MXL 4.5 - Anyone got those?

Started by Jon_Kol, August 04, 2020, 04:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

Hi guys and girls, it's been quite some time since I was here last (sadly). I'm trying to get my stuff back together after quite a bit of "this and that" in life, and one of the things I need to do, is help out with an AVET reel.

It's a MXL 4.5, Gold color.

I've searched this forum and Google back and forth, but I cannot find any bearing sizes for this model. Is it a model which has in later years been sold under another model name, or something like that?

I could really use the bearing sizes for it.. I live in Norway, so we use .mm here, but I'm aware that AVET uses inches in their bearings. Worst case, my bearing supplier will be able to help me convert the inch-to-mm calculations.

Any chance anyone of you can help me out? Several of the bearings for this reel were so bad, that when finally removed, they fell to pieces..

Thanks for reading, take care!

akfish

The MXL 4.5 was discontinued several years ago and replaced with the MXL 5.8. I almost certain that the two reels use the same size bearings, and I'm sure they use the same size pinion bearing. Being in Norway complicates things but I suspect you could get Avet to send you the bearings. The problem is that the Avet online ordering system has been down for a few months so you'd need to call them directly.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Jon_Kol

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I tried contacting AVET via their website, but it doesn't seem like their orderform is working (just like you said). I've never gotten a reply from them in the past, so not sure what to do.. I could always give them a call, but I don't know if they'll list their bearing sizes at all?

Quote from: akfish on August 04, 2020, 04:21:50 PM
The MXL 4.5 was discontinued several years ago and replaced with the MXL 5.8. I almost certain that the two reels use the same size bearings, and I'm sure they use the same size pinion bearing. Being in Norway complicates things but I suspect you could get Avet to send you the bearings. The problem is that the Avet online ordering system has been down for a few months so you'd need to call them directly.

SoCalAngler

Smoothdrag lists the pinion and left side bearing sizes and I'm sure Dawn will know the spool bearing sizes.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html

Edit: Here are the other sizes as well. The 4.5 uses the same size as the 5.8 I think.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13443.0

Bryan Young

Hi Jon,

would it be possible for you to remove the bearing and measure it?  ID x OD by Width?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

Question; does Abu have any relatively small lever drag reels like Avet does?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Robert Janssen

From MXL 5.8: i just took one apart to check.

Drag plate .1875 x .375 x .125
Spool right side .1875 x .3125 x .125
Spool left side .1875 x .50 x .156
Pinion .25 x .625 x .196
Main gear 8 x 16 x 5 mm. Two of them.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Gfish on October 16, 2020, 06:35:46 PM
Question; does Abu have any relatively small lever drag reels like Avet does?

They did, for a short time.
Ambassadeur 7000 C4 LD, also Big Game 7000 NLD
Ambassadeur 6600 C3 LD

Much less robust design than aforementioned Avets, and long since discontinued.

Jon_Kol

Wow, thank you so much for doing this! This is where this forum really stands out.

Thank you once again!  :)

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 17, 2020, 06:41:56 AM
From MXL 5.8: i just took one apart to check.

Drag plate .1875 x .375 x .125
Spool right side .1875 x .3125 x .125
Spool left side .1875 x .50 x .156
Pinion .25 x .625 x .196
Main gear 8 x 16 x 5 mm. Two of them.