3.5 day trip on the Top Gun 80 cancelled today expecting 12 foot swells

Started by Hamachi, August 27, 2020, 12:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamachi

Bummer. Rescheduled October 15-19.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Crab Pot

I just got off a 4 day on the Pacific Voyager (yesterday) and the last day it was a blowing.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Hamachi

Epic trip! Shout out to captains Scotty and Bob Taft (brothers), deck hands Julio and Nate, and cook Jolene! Did I say epic trip? All three days started out on anchor at the Tanner bank. Sheep head, starrys, whitefish and assorted rockfish to begin with. Then the yellowtail started showing up. Slow but steady pick all morning. I was unlucky as most of mine rocked. When the bite slowed, we'd head offshore looking for schools. They expertly flew a single kite with two separate baits. The frozen flying fish were mostly rigged by Julio with fat shishkabob sticks and zip ties. I believe all their reels were well worn avets with 200 main and 300 leader. Looked like about a 16/0 J hook and a large stinger treble crimped on with copper. I think everyone, (except me) got a kite fish. I was dead last on the rotation. Sound familiar? (Later I learned I was removed from the list after I had caught one on my own). Fish 80-265# were boated with only three or four heartbreak stories. Most fish were 150 and up with about a half dozen or so cows.
 So on the first night, with nothing in the bag, I decided to try a Tady slow pitch jig rigged on #135 leader, 80 main, tld30II w/tib frame Calstar 6455xh. Crank, drop, crank, drop, crank drop. Finally on the wind my rod loaded up! Just keep winding! Up and down the rail I go managing to keep out of tangles for the most part. I think it was the 98 pounder boated here. The pressure is off! (This is the fish that got me removed from the kite rotation).
 Next day started out the same, but later chased a porpoise school and I was one of the lucky, to boat a 61 pound yellowfin! Killed it in less than five minutes on 50 pound. Fathom 40nld2 w/60jb fg knot to 65 yds. Big game, three turn surgeons to a three foot section of seaguar premier and a 3/0 owner super mutu tied with a San Diego jam. (They actually called my number to fight a kite fish while I was fighting this one).

The other guy took about 45 minutes on 40 single speed. More kite fishing after that.

Final day started the same, but a couple of 40 pound bluefin showed up on the bank. More offshore drifting with the kite, with most guys watching the game waiting for their number to be called when a fish was hooked. Then the skipper yells out "dump two scoops NOW!" Well that was enough to get me off my butt and to the stern rail. Lee side cast made it just passed the windy corner when it got slammed! Halfway up the starboard side, he's taking about 450 yards of 15 lbs. of drag without slowing down! Julio is right behind me and yells "don't touch the drag!" I do the unthinkable and add two clicks to the pressure! He stops! I get a wind. Then another. My line is straight out to the horizon. Slowly I work my way back to the corner gaining a little along the way as I am in low, taking when I can. Here comes two kite fish to the corner also, ut oh! Off and on a deckie would check on me, as there were only two of them and the main concern seemed to be with the kite fish. Back and forth along the stern we went, over under, under over, weaving the tuna dance. The big swells didn't help matters, but soon deep color, then gaff. Phew! I believe this to be the 91 pound bluefin weighted at the processor.
 Prime rib dinner on the way home down swell was the perfect topping to an epic big fish trip aboard the Top Gun 80.

The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Swami805

Nice report, getting cancelled worked out pretty good, heck of a trip!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations Warren.  Reading your report was the next best thing to being there!

Ron Jones

Can't get much better than that. Sounds like a great trip.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pjstevko

Nice fish! Way to put in the time at the rail. I can't wait for my 3 day on the Pacific Queen in two weeks!

sciaenops

He shoots he scores! Looks like some serious skill there. Congrats on the maguro. Tried to get out there Monday on our 1.5d but had to divert - nasty wind chop.

oc1

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on October 20, 2020, 09:19:20 PM
Reading your report was the next best thing to being there!
That's for sure.  All the detail.  Good going.
-steve

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

scrinch

Nice report, Warren. Sounds like a fun trip. Finally got into some bluefin!

conchydong