kayak mothership trip to point sur, 8/26/2020

Started by alantani, August 27, 2020, 02:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Quote from: thorhammer on August 28, 2020, 02:51:22 PM
the gunwhale mounts for the yaks are sweet!

Yeah, that's a great idea. Did you buy, make or adapt those?
You can see the rockfish weren't hauled up from the deep--- no protruding eyes or bellies.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Thoughts based experiences fishing and diving in the kelp forest:

Never seen a shark there. Once I kayaked past the kelp to try deeper waters and heard a loud splash aways behind me, immediatly thought "shark"!, turned out to be a sea lion, cause I saw him come up again.

Mature kelp plants are usually around 60ft. long and have the top-most part floating on surface waters but can grow in 90ft. deep water. Never seen an attachment point on anything except rock.

Learned that I could fish over the rocks on small patches by judging depth, surface wind/current and possible angle of of the stalks so's I wouldn't have to go into the patch. There were "mid-water blue's"(Dominick's term) and a few other species in small numbers and sizes, but the big'uns were almost always amongst the rocks.

Best fishing was into the middle of the bigger kelp patches, but had to eliminate the rudder, anything sticking out from the sides or bottom and be careful how I used my paddle.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bchen

I'm more wary of fishing near Ano Nuevo.  Those seals are a good food source that attracts the big sharks.  Haven't had issues with sharks anywhere else, although I've been uncomfortably close to whales while trolling for salmon.

- Bernard

Gfish

I know, huh. Them Humpbacks come down/over here in the winter, the time when the winds lay down many days and I can get way out there. You never know where they'er gonna breach...

One other thought from Monterey, Ca. kelp/Rockfishin, an inflatable kayak was much easier to move around on top of the kelp beds and may have slowed down at times, but never got stuck.

ScottThornley

Quote from: Gfish on August 28, 2020, 05:21:07 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on August 28, 2020, 02:51:22 PM
the gunwhale mounts for the yaks are sweet!

Yeah, that's a great idea. Did you buy, make or adapt those?
You can see the rockfish weren't hauled up from the deep--- no protruding eyes or bellies.

I pretty much checked out of ocean fishing in 2010, but am getting the bug again. Part of that includes resurrecting a 1950's or 60's era rod belonging to my late father. Just for grins. I need a reel to go with it, so figured I'd come here, see if I could pick up a vintage Jigmaster or small Senator that wouldn't look out of place.

Lo and behold, there are those kayak racks I fabbed up for Alan once upon a time. 2008-ish maybe?

If memory serves, they're 1.5" .25 wall 6061. Left natural.  Not having access to a real machine shop, I mitered the uprights on my drill press, and had a muffler shop put the bends in the "U"s. Once welded, I just used a chainsaw file to put grooves in the uprights so they'd key into the dowels in Alan's rod holders. Et voila.

Scott

alantani

scott, it's great to see you here.  that offer to take you out on one of these runs is still good.  just ping me.  november would be best.  this month is already shot and october has two long range trip on the calendar.  keep in touch!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!