alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial kayak mothership trip to point sur, 8/26/2020
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 27, 2020, 06:32:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kayak mothership trip to point sur, 8/26/2020  (Read 1309 times)
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »

the gunwhale mounts for the yaks are sweet!

Yeah, that's a great idea. Did you buy, make or adapt those?
You can see the rockfish weren't hauled up from the deep--- no protruding eyes or bellies.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »

Thoughts based experiences fishing and diving in the kelp forest:

Never seen a shark there. Once I kayaked past the kelp to try deeper waters and heard a loud splash aways behind me, immediatly thought "shark"!, turned out to be a sea lion, cause I saw him come up again.

Mature kelp plants are usually around 60ft. long and have the top-most part floating on surface waters but can grow in 90ft. deep water. Never seen an attachment point on anything except rock.

Learned that I could fish over the rocks on small patches by judging depth, surface wind/current and possible angle of of the stalks so's I wouldn't have to go into the patch. There were "mid-water blue's"(Dominick's term) and a few other species in small numbers and sizes, but the big'uns were almost always amongst the rocks.

Best fishing was into the middle of the bigger kelp patches, but had to eliminate the rudder, anything sticking out from the sides or bottom and be careful how I used my paddle.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:01:13 AM by Gfish » Logged

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
bchen

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »

I'm more wary of fishing near Ano Nuevo.  Those seals are a good food source that attracts the big sharks.  Haven't had issues with sharks anywhere else, although I've been uncomfortably close to whales while trolling for salmon.

- Bernard
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 09:18:20 PM by bchen » Logged
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 02:18:14 PM »

I know, huh. Them Humpbacks come down/over here in the winter, the time when the winds lay down many days and I can get way out there. You never know where they'er gonna breach...

One other thought from Monterey, Ca. kelp/Rockfishin, an inflatable kayak was much easier to move around on top of the kelp beds and may have slowed down at times, but never got stuck.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: