Main Menu

Kodiak clone

Started by gstours, August 27, 2020, 03:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here,s a short clip of a lively bottom fish jig.   Maybe catching smaller fish is still catching fish?  Always fun to test your own homade stuff. :-*

Dominick

A flick of the wrist and back to the deep.  You are the Buttman.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

"Yeah, I now that's what you can do." Perfect!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

You have any thoughts on your 545 ?  Just received one myself., I'm excited to fish with it... Jeff

gstours

Thanks for the question.  The 545 is a very good reel, the 113h parts fit in it as well.   I've got one without a clicker for jigging and a clicker on for trolling and chair fishing.   These are just a little bit narrower than a penn 113h yts.  The double dogs are Not difficult after you have done some.  drag kits and sst parts can be customized as desired.   The crank side plate comes off with 2 screws, that's a plus,   I like mine.   🎣

Rivverrat

gstours, I agree with your thoughts on the 545. Now this being based on what I seen on my newly acquired 545 after looking inside & spending some time casting with it. I have yet to land a fish with mine. The machine work on the 545, on mine any ways, is really very good for a reel in this class. Mine does not have a clicker. Maybe the only conventional style reel I own with out one.

Mine makes 15 lbs. of fishable drag easily. This being right at the point the star takes a bit more effort to turn. I found finding this level of drag easy with this reel based on feel of the star while turning. As for casting there is more distance to be had with mine as both my Penn Baja & US113 will out cast this 545, while under hand flipping a 1 oz. sinker. Not a problem for me. This reel will never toss out anything less than 8 oz. bait. I will however see how much distance I can get from my 545 after some work. I think it might be something as simple as to much grease on the pinion.

Like I said prior the machine work is really good also the tolerances are tight & not as lose as say they are in say a Penn Senator. A Penn main gear would not fit on the PG bridge. I will be changing the bridge out for a Penn 113 bridge with stainless guts. This reel will of course reach 20 lbs. of drag with upgrades. But after discussing this with & agreeing with Brian I will use a pull & reel down method & not power crank while using higher drag.

The small spindle diameter on the spool shaft along with small bearings used are questionable to me for long term use at drag levels above 20 lbs while turning the handle. If any one may know different from experience or disagree please speak up... Jeff

gstours

Yes the 545 is kinda cool.  A little smaller than a 113 narrow kit ted.  It's easier to pull the crank side plate for instance, I pc frame with the opposite end plate.  The bearings are small, and the spool shaft too,
  But it's a very good reel, lots of upgrades and available now.
      Every thing has a place and a limit of what's practical.  Generally when cranking a heavy fish with high speed gear ⚙️ s,  it's pump and crank.   You will have fun.  Good luck 🍀.

Rivverrat

Quote from: gstours on September 14, 2020, 03:13:14 AM
Yes the 545 is kinda cool.  A little smaller than a 113 narrow kit ted.  It's easier to pull the crank side plate for instance, I pc frame with the opposite end plate.  The bearings are small, and the spool shaft too,
  But it's a very good reel...

Yes !  What rod was that your using ?  Any idea on your drag setting ?  Oh ! Always love seeing the clips of you out in that boat of yours... Jeff

gstours

The rod shown in above clip is a Okuma Cedros jig rod,  about a hundred bucks plus a little more.  I got it thru Amazon Prime,  its the medium heavy version and seems to be well made.  Alps reel seat and guides are top notch.   its good for 4 to 10 ounce jigs.   nice action.
  As for the 545 bridge,  mine is a 113h,  gears and guts, with a Motiv Fab drag kit.  Works good for my fishing.   
I agree the tiny spool bearing and spool end dia might be a problem when fished at heavy drag settings but for the size of the reel just try to match it with your quarry.   I wouldnt take my 410 goose hunting. ;)

David Hall

Pretty sure it was at least 22" we keep those.  Lol! Seriously we do keep them, that might be the biggest you catch all day.  Might have to release a dozen shorties to find that one too.