Aluminum drag knob for 8500SS

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 27, 2020, 06:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I've seen mention of aluminum drag knobs for penn SS reels. I havent, to my recollection, seen a part # associated with those mentions. Can someone clue me in here? I'm gonna order the 5 washer drag upgrade, if mysticparts has it I'd like to combine shipping.

Speaking of increased #s of drag washers, there's truly nothing new under the sun. I had intended to ask if there would be functional value in making the metal washers thinner to fit more layers in there. Turns out someone beat me to the idea by several years (i have not verified that this is achieved via thinner washers but i can only assume so).

I'm gonna have a F'n field day here. The more I read the more I see people have already come up with marketable versions of ideas I've had (and seemingly sold out of before i arrived). This is great.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

these guys have been at it for a while.  hopefully someone will get back to you on the knobs. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

You can tweak metal in the drag stack but you have to consider the strength of the rest of the reel, but will it hold up with more drag than it was designed for.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Hi Jason,

The only aluminum drag knob that I know of comes from Japan.  There was/is a Penn SS cult following in the Osaka region that made/makes customer Penn SS parts.  the last I have heard from the company was maybe 6 years ago when my friend moved back to Japan and looked into it for me.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 27, 2020, 10:40:17 PM
Hi Jason,

The only aluminum drag knob that I know of comes from Japan.  There was/is a Penn SS cult following in the Osaka region that made/makes customer Penn SS parts.  the last I have heard from the company was maybe 6 years ago when my friend moved back to Japan and looked into it for me.

Bryan
Oh, i guess I misread. I thought it was a penn part. That explains why I wasnt finding it. Looking forward to trying your drag setup though.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.