Forum procedure preferences

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 28, 2020, 01:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So there's a ton of stuff I'm very interested in and have questions on that has been touched on in threads that are in some cases a decade old, and haven't seen a comment in almost as long.

I've been a member of my fair share of forums. I've seen noobs get chewed out for reviving very old threads, and I've alternatively seen noobs get chewed out for posting new topics when relevant threads already exist albeit in antiquated form. I choose to believe the answer is something other than people being chewed out for being a noob. So i figured I'd ask: what's the preference here? Do I start a new thread, or revive a dinosaur?

I'm well aware of the irony of starting a new thread to ask about etiquette re: starting new threads. But alas here we are.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gobi King

Revive away, we love our old threads, ask away :-)

Welcome to the forum from west fichigan
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

You will soon find out we are not "other boards", dig away.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Hi Jason, we are a different here.

Either is fine but it would likely be be better to post on an existing, albeit old thread than start a new one if you have located the thread. If not and need advice or have questions, we are glad to help out everyone.

We have general rules. https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4959.0

The main and foremost rule is the 12 years old rule. Posts and responses shall be written so that a 12 years old girl can read the post and not get offended in any way.

You will figure out the rest. Our moderators will advise you if you are out of line as well as address others if they are out of line in responding to you.

So please be rest assured, and post away. Unfortunately, some parts will not be available and they were trials and a limited number of parts offered were only available at that time. It will give you a great idea what can be done with your reel as well.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Welcome.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

I've been around here for some time and have never seen anyone get "chewed out"

So c'mon and join in!
Cornelis

Keta

Quote from: Cor on August 28, 2020, 01:54:29 PM
I've been around here for some time and have never seen anyone get "chewed out"

So c'mon and join in!

We prefer to mentor our family here but we have been forced to go further.... but rarely.   
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

I for one like to see old threads revived where appropriate- i may have never seen it or forgotten it, and you could spend a year backtracking every thread back to 2008.

Midway Tommy

I actually have no say with regard to board policy but my personal preference would be to resurrect old threads and add to them rather than to start up a new thread that may be somewhat redundant. That does happen occasionally but it is always advantageous to have as much information as possible on a given topic/subject in one location. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I forget things before they have time to get old.  Revive when there is an opportunity.
-steve

Ron Jones

We're just not that uptight. No power trips, we are concerned about getting you to catch fish. When you are dealing with 60 year old reels, a post made 5 years ago isn't all that old.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Good answers everyone.  revive old posts if relevant to your issue.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brewcrafter

I will echo the Ohana above - reviving an old thread if you are asking a question shows you are actually doing some digging for an answer.  The flipside of that - if you have a question - ask.  If there is a previous thread that covers it in detail folks will be good about pointing the way. - john

Shark Hunter

Francis,
Not sure what you are trying to post, but it just looks like gibberish?
I just deleted 3 pages of the same post in the Welcome Section.
Life is Good!

Gobi King

I deleted the post, comes up as Icelandic in google translate, probably spammer.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 15, 2020, 01:18:42 PM
Francis,
Not sure what you are trying to post, but it just looks like gibberish?
I just deleted 3 pages of the same post in the Welcome Section.
I hit report on that one. I thought I had funny commentary on my report!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.