credit where credit is due.....

Started by alantani, August 30, 2020, 03:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

this guy did alot of work and i want to preserve this here to make sure he gets credit for his work!!!!

Sat, Aug 29 at 6:24 PM

Hi Mr. Tani,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I just returned from a three day trip on the Shogun this morning.  Fishing was fantastic, but the sea was quite mad.  In regards to the Makaira 8ll, I think I may have fixed the problem.  Since Okuma couldn't duplicate the problem, they pretty much told me the reel is fine and that they didn't find anything wrong with it.  So, I took matters into my own hands and began taking apart the reel to do my own diagnostic.  After several attempts, I too couldn't find anything obviously wrong with any of the parts.  While trying to go to sleep one night, I decided I would take the reel apart one last time the following day.  This time when I unscrew the cast control knob, it separated into two pieces. I was a little confused so I went back to the schematics and confirmed the knob on the drawing showed one piece.   However, that was not the case in my situation.  Upon further investigation, I noticed between the upper and lower piece there is a spring and two pins for the clicking knob sandwiched together.  This entire knob assembly was held together by an o-ring that snapped into place when you push the two pieces together.  Anyhow, it got me thinking so, I went to my secret stash and took out my Makaira 10ll hoping the cast control knob is the same size.  Lucky for me, the knob fits perfectly on the 8ll.  I was confident that I had fixed the problem, but I needed to put it to test in order to confirm my repair.  I did bring the reel on this trip and was able to catch several BFT between 40-60 lb without losing drag pressure.  I can now confirm the problem is fixed and the cast control knob was the cause of the problem.  After returning from my trip, I put the defective knob next to the good knob from the 10ll and noticed the defective knob did not stay compressed.  It is 1/16" higher than the good knob.  The o-ring that held the two pieces together failed.  When under load, the two pieces separate just enough(1/16") so that the set pressure is compromised.  Nonetheless, thank you for returning my message, and thank you for sharing your expert knowledge with us.

Best Regards,
Jody

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Nice work Jody.  Alan thanks for posting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

wow, that's persistence, kudos Jody!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Donnyboat

Good work Jody, quite often once the head, hit the pillow, the mind turns over, thanks for telling us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat