Newell 3.6 gear sets for 300 series reels

Started by fishhead69, August 07, 2020, 11:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

Are the 3.6:1 gears in the Newell S338-3.6 interchangeable with Newell 5:1 gear sets or do you have to change out the spool like you do on the Newell 500 series reels?

Bryan Young

The 3.6:1 gear set is interchangeable with the 5:1 gear set with out the need to change the spool for all 200/300/400 series Newells.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Very difficult to notice any performance difference but I personally like the 3.6 for the beefier pinion teeth.

Dwight

fishhead69

It looks like the main gear is the same for the 3.6:1 and the 5:1 gear sets but the pinion gear is different. Am I right? The spool is interchangeable.

Bryan Young

Both the main and pinion gear are different between the 4:1 and 5:1 gear sets.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishhead69

What about the 3.6:1 gears? Are they different also? The 4:1 gears were in the reels with an M after the number like the "Blackie" 235-M for example and then you have the Newell reels that have a T after the number like the P344T that also has the 4:1 gears.

Bryan Young

Quote from: fishhead69 on August 12, 2020, 04:33:06 AM
What about the 3.6:1 gears? Are they different also? The 4:1 gears were in the reels with an M after the number like the "Blackie" 235-M for example and then you have the Newell reels that have a T after the number like the P344T that also has the 4:1 gears.
The 4:1 are actually 3.6:1 if you count the teeth of the gears.

fishhead69

Very good. You're the man Bryan. I appreciate the info.