Having some Halibut Fun.

Started by gstours, August 31, 2020, 02:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Its alway fun to get away for a morning if the boats on the mooring.   So here is a clip of some fun we had fishing baits and anchored.
   The reel is a Penn 40n fathom,  very capable butt the hi gear isnt friendly to me.  The rod is one my friend wanted to test and buy.
  Rod catched fish,  butt maybe just a fluke?   Time will tell.  See what you think?   Wish you were there to help. ::)

David Hall

and even that one would be huge in my waters.

Dominick

That was smooth.  Nicely done.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

What a team, the hook Ken was using looked very thick, do you both use the same size hook, I would like to see a pic of one on the palm of your hand, is there a special name for them, I think they would be good Trevelly, or Skippy, they have a very soft mouth, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

Mr. Donneyboat sir.   We almost always make our own bait rigs for halibut.  Ken likes the stainless circle hooks butt I don't have a preference really.  It's always a 18/0 size,  butt then the trailer/stinger hook is a jhook and Ken crimps the mono leader for the stinger to the eye in the circle hook and prefers the gamagatsue big river in 10-12/0.  These hooks have very small eyes for a large hook.
   Butte prefer to snell the stinger, usually a 10-12/0 siwash with raided cord and snell to the circle hook as well as these both have large eyes.   Pictures of dirty hands may break the 12 yrold rule.🤦‍♂️

gstours

I prefer the Mustad 18-20/0 circle hook as it's easily obtainable.   The big j is also shown.

Donnyboat

Thanks you Gary for your quick reply, interesting, we use large hooks for the West Aussie Dhu fish, a Dhuey @ only 60 cm, you could stand a beer can up in there mouth, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat