Cleaning a small carb

Started by Gobi King, September 01, 2020, 01:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I have a 2hp honda outboard, let just say that some how gas was left in it all winter last year [I have no clue how ;-)]

What/how do you guys clean your carbs?

I have seen youtube videos where one guy takes off the float and throws the carb in an ultrasonic cleaner

Another guy just takes off the jet sprays it down, heats up the air/mix screw and cleans that too, says not to use wire as it could damage the carb

Yet another guys uses wires to clean all the holes of the jet.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

happyhooker

Just did the carb on my B & S mower (4.5 horse) 3-4 days ago.  Poor design; jet is at the bottom of fuel bowl and the smallest particle of anything settling in there clogs things up, so I usually end up taking it off 1-2 a yr. for a clean.
I generally avoid wires, as they can scratch the orifice & change the fuel flow.  Have always had good luck with Gumout Carb Cleaner in a can; force of the spray & the cleaner usually gets the job done.  While I have it off, check the float needle & seat for crud too.

With more aggressive cleaners, you may have to totally disassemble, as those kind of cleaners will do a number on plastic stuff and gaskets/o-rings.

Frank

Dominick

Quote from: Gobi King on September 01, 2020, 01:53:52 PM

I have a 2hp honda outboard, let just say that some how gas was left in it all winter last year [I have no clue how ;-)]

What/how do you guys clean your carbs?

I have seen youtube videos where one guy takes off the float and throws the carb in an ultrasonic cleaner

Another guy just takes off the jet sprays it down, heats up the air/mix screw and cleans that too, says not to use wire as it could damage the carb

I don't know if this will work but I would get some gasoline stabilizer and fresh gas and put it in the tank and wait overnight.  Start tugging the next day.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Quote from: Dominick on September 01, 2020, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on September 01, 2020, 01:53:52 PM

/mix screw and cleans that too, says not to use wire as it could damage the carb

I don't know if this will work but I would get some gasoline stabilizer and fresh gas and put it in the tank and wait overnight.  Start tugging the next day.  Dominick

I tried that a few times, with carb cleaner, with sea foam, tried straight sea foam ...
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, no dice.

I took off the carb, it was not that difficult.
Fichigan

Dominick

BTW using wires in the orifices that pass gasoline is  nota good idea.  they do sell wires specifically for the job.  The wires are like a human hair in thickness.  I think the are called orifice cleaners.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

found the carb cleaning wire set on amazon, bought one,

as a backup called the local honda parts marine store and ordered a new carb,

I found out that the air/fuel mix screw is attached with RED loctite, I need to take a torch to it,

Torches and I don't really get along sometimes ;-)
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

Now - my first thought is torches and fuel carbs do not go together well!  And Dominick is spot on - try any decent tool supply or welding shop to find a set.  They are used for cleaning torch tips.  Still, you need to use care, torch tips are made of much more robust material than potmetal carbs, so you can easily mess up the orifices if you do not have a fine hand. - john

Gobi King

I watch few more carb videos on youtube and

1. ultrasonic cleaner could be use do the clean the carb - not sure how long to run it though
2. gotcha no wire, one guy suggested the use of mono fishing line, well I think I have that :-)

The new carb was $78, oem honda.
the motor is  a 2004, but the gaskets all look good, but having an set handy might be helpful
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

I have only used compressed air - I don't like poking anything in my orifice :D

philaroman

oh, small carb...
was wondering why anyone needed help, to clean a small crab ;D
or, how Tools and Lubricants would be used ???

Ruffy

Quote from: philaroman on September 03, 2020, 01:49:04 PM
oh, small carb...
was wondering why anyone needed help, to clean a small crab ;D
or, how Tools and Lubricants would be used ???

:D On my phone it shows up as "Cleaning a small car". As I am in the process of selling a corolla which I've just detailed I thought this would be interesting!

Gobi King

Drop that corolla into an ultrasonic cleaner and forget about it ;-)

Phil, I reckon we can clean a small crab with compressed air

Update: I installed the new honda carb and the motor runs fine, I forgot the hose clamp for the fuel line, oh well.

I still need to clean the old carb but I am curious what comes of out of the jets etc.
Fichigan

Rivverrat

I've been through this many times. If I can get motor to start I will use Sea Foam & head for the closest water less than 5 min. away.  I basically run the motor until it clears using Sea Foam straight into carb. The high speed jet can be an issue with most carbs with gas left in them over winter. Clogged high speed jet, motor will stammer & stutter at full throttle, boat never getting on step... Jeff

Gobi King

yeah, I left gas it in the first year and high speed jets clogged, I used seafoam and that cleared the issue.

I ran fine last year and I again left the gas in the motor and CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG.

New plan:

1. Use only Ethanol free gas
2. Cut gas and run motor till it dies at lunch
3. Drain gas out of carb 

Fichigan

Benni3

I had to take one apart,,, ;) make sure the jet moves freely,,,,,, ;D