Cleaning a small carb

Started by Gobi King, September 01, 2020, 01:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

You can buy "fuel" for both 4 cycle, and 2 cycle motors that is stable for 2 years (5 years , in an unopened can). It's pricey....about $8 for a quart can, but, for generators, mowers, chainsaws, etc., it's the berries for 'putting them to bed'...I either "run out", or drain the gas at the end of season, add a pint ,or so, of the "fuel', start it up, run it for a minute, or so, and shut it down.....seems to work great!  I used to use 'Stable" fuel additive, then Seafoam came out, and seemed to work better.....but this new stuff is better yet (or seems to be, to me :-\), and there is no "mixing or monkeying", just dump it in.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Arlyn, is that a Stihl product?  The place we bought our chain saw recommended we only use these little quart cans of Stihl gas.
-steve

Crow

Stihl makes some, but there are a couple other brands, as well. I first became aware of it from our "chainsaw store'...a Stihl dealer, and small engine shop.  I just bought a new generator from them, and they are really recommending that folks use this , instead of stable, or Seafoam.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Engine-Fuels-6238-Ethanol-Free/dp/B00W9595JG/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2DPJFSVIFBG0X

they make both 4 cycle, and 2 cycle blends. I think you can also get different "mix ratios" in the 2 cycle fuel. I know the regular Stihl 2 cycle fuel come in two different ratios...or used to, anyway. Most everything we have , now is 50-1. The 4 cycle fuel was something I didn't realize was available...until the guy told me that he really recommended it over using "fuel additives"

Gobi King

Arlyn, I have seen that at wallys,
is this the same as ethanol free gas?

we have some station near me that sells ethanol free gas and the station near the race track sells race gas.

race gas is $4 / gal
ethanol free has a 40 cents /gal markup

I will definitely use these for my small engines going forward,
my 4 cycle weed trimmer dies due to ethanol...
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

The kinds I have seen all say "ethanol free".

Dominick

I don't understand this ethanol free discussion.  I don't think it has anything to do with clogged orifices.  The only problem I know of with ethanol is that it sometimes causes fracking.  If that occurs, one just drains the fuel and water adds fresh gasoline and voila you are good to go.  Please explain if I am wrong.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crow

My "take" on the ethanol is, the water in the fuel (usually from condensation, but from any source) will collect in any "low place" in the fuel system. When it gets to the carb bowl, in a "sufficient amount" it causes misfires, stall, etc. ...and if left during storage, causes corrosion in the carb.. The alcohol added to the fuel lets the water "mix" with the fuel, and pass on through the carb, where it's  "small" part of the combustion process. Back "in the day", folks would add products like "Heat", to "dry up" the fuel systems, and help deal with "water in the fuel" problems. Then came ethanol additives in gas....the water is constantly being "mixed " with the gas...never being allowed to "set" in the system. 1st problem is, the gas has a "small % of water in it, so it becomes , in effect, a "corrosive element "...tends to work on the aluminum, or "pot metal" carb parts, as well as eroding the brass jets, over time. 2nd problem is, ethanol is a pretty good "cleaner"...so, any corrosion, dirt, etc., in the system gets "washed out", and tends to collect in the jets. So, ethanol (or actually ANY alcohol) tends to both CAUSE corrosion (in some of the fuel system parts), and "wash" that corrosion into the fuel solution, and then, into the jets.
   When it first became a "thing" to use the ethanol blended fuels....in the vehicles that had been built for "regular gas"...the alcohol "washed ", or "dissolved" the tin coating from inside the fuel lines, plugged up the fuel filters, and really destroyed lots of the materials that were being used in the fuel systems. Manufacturers learned, and used different "alcohol proof " coatings, and materials, and pretty well took care of most of the fuel related issues. "Small" engine technology, for the most part, is still "old technology", so "regular gas" is usually specified. Although, small engines are "catching up" to the times.

oc1

Ethanol will also dissolve a fiberglass fuel tank and makes a sticky sludge that can get into the engine.
-steve

Brewcrafter

And the other thing about ethanol (besides it being hydrophyllic AND corrosive) - you have to burn roughly twice as much of it to get the same BTU/output as opposed to gasoline.  In small amounts mixed in fuel the standard metering systems can adjust - but speaking as an old school "carb guy" you can quickly overwhelm the ability of a carb to deliver enough fuel vs. air as alcohol percentages go up, and require major changes to the metering circuits. - john

wfjord

When I bought a Stihl saw a few years ago the salesman explained I should only use ethanol free gas in it --and also in any other piece of equipment with a 2 or 4 cycle engine.  Engines aren't my forte and I can't remember the details of the conversation other than it would make them run better and prolong the life of the motors.  Long story short, I switched to ethanol free and so far so good, which I'm hoping will reverse a long held dogma that 2 cycle engines were sent as a curse upon mankind. I'm also sensing a bit of deja vu here as I seem to recall posting something similar in another thread this year regarding Stihl and ethanol free gas.

Dominick

Does anyone know how to pronounce Stihl?  Is it steel, still, or style?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

I've always pronounced it 'still' - but I'm not from round here.  :)
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

wfjord

Phonically, it looks like it's pronounced Still. 

jurelometer

You can't help but be suspicious that they may have an ulterior motive in selling you $32/gallon gasoline  instead of just the occasional chainsaw that lasts a decade or more.

Not saying that the stuff doesn't work, but I doubt that some chainsaw company came up with some brand spanking new chemistry.  They must be ordering  some combination of existing gasoline, stabilizers and whatnot.   Ask Stihl what specifically is in the blend, and see if you get an answer :)

-J.