Cleaning a small carb

Started by Gobi King, September 01, 2020, 01:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: Dominick on September 16, 2020, 12:33:36 AM
Does anyone know how to pronounce Stihl?  Is it steel, still, or style?  Dominick
I say "steel" and so do our Alaskan kin and our Stihl dealer (local hardware store).

Quote from: wfjord on September 16, 2020, 12:25:35 AM
2 cycle engines were sent as a curse upon mankind.
My sentiments too.  It's been agony.

-steve

wfjord

Quote from: jurelometer on September 16, 2020, 04:46:36 AM
You can't help but be suspicious that they may have an ulterior motive in selling you $32/gallon gasoline  instead of just the occasional chainsaw that lasts a decade or more.

Not saying that the stuff doesn't work, but I doubt that some chainsaw company came up with some brand spanking new chemistry.  They must be ordering  some combination of existing gasoline, stabilizers and whatnot.   Ask Stihl what specifically is in the blend, and see if you get an answer :)

-J.

I think the $32 gallon gas is probably just a mixture (in ethanol-free gas) that includes the 2 or 4-cycle oil for those who don't want to mix their own.

Edit:  A money making scheme probably. Useful for homeowners with a saw or other 2-cycle power tool who don't need to use a lot of gas --but not a consideration for anyone making their living using gas powered equipment.

Swami805

That gas is a little higher octane I think. They should give you a can when you buy a new saw at least you think they would. We buy a fair amount of chain saws every year. Now you need a program on a laptop to tune them, it's getting ridiculous. $800 for a stihl 201 climbing saw and heaven forbid you need a new plastic part.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bhale1

Wow...quite the interesting thread here. Just my experience, for what it's worth. I have 2 Stihl chainsaws that I've used as a homeowner not professional type service. I cut a cord of wood with a permit for fireplace and BBQ use at home, about a cord where we set up elk camp for a few weeks use, and some trimming around the house or for family members/friends. So I'm no "professional sawyer!😁

Unfortunately, due to my not always getting all of my homemade pre-mix fuel out of carbs after each use, I am now very proficient at rebuilding/cleaning the small Stihl cube style carburetors. So, have I learned anything? Well yes.
1) only use genuine Stihl parts.... the knock-off Amazon parts are friendlier for the wallet, but don't last as long!
2) ...and this is most important for my application....only use quality pre-mix fuel in the cans. Stihl has "moto-mix" as Steve referred to, and another one is called "Tru-fuel"...
For me the ease of use, performance, and decrease in necessary carb maintenance, far outweigh the cost!
Just my .02$, for what it's worth. And as I said, I'm not a professional, so my saws see some shelf time between use. The guys that use saws everyday, for a living , most likely have a different program that works better for them😁
Brett

Edit, I should add that since I went exclusively to "canned" fuel 2years ago I have not had any carb issues.
I drain the fuel after use and start it and run/choke til it quits. My Stihl dealer, I say "steel" tells me I don't even have to do that if it's not going to sit more than a year, but I do it anyways!!!!

Gobi King

I promise to use my 2 hp honda outboard more and not let it sit for 13 months with gas inside :-)

I have used ethanol gas till now, and starting this year I will use ethanol free gas with seafoam or other carb cleaners and see how that goes.

I have a 2 cycle HB 800 generator that I let sit with gas inside (with 2 cycle), I am going to try starting next, see how that goes.

Arlyn, I will pick wait till end of the season and pick up some of those canned fuel on clearance for later

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on September 16, 2020, 12:41:34 PM
That gas is a little higher octane I think. They should give you a can when you buy a new saw at least you think they would. We buy a fair amount of chain saws every year. Now you need a program on a laptop to tune them, it's getting ridiculous. $800 for a stihl 201 climbing saw and heaven forbid you need a new plastic part.

Years ago I thought the same. My Stihl 200t a prior,  non EPA compliant saw, sold for $650 will make me well over $250, 000 in its life span. Then I rebuild  & do close to the same again.  Both 200t's I have now have been rebuilt twice.

Is a regular home owner going to benefit from a professional grade Stihl. Probably not.

Look at what your local water & fire rescue rescue does for their saws & gas powered equipment in storage. They cannot afford have equipment go down from fuel related stoppage.  The gas in California is not what we have here in Kansas. So there can be differences in how to deal with it.

People in our Gov. believe they can make our fuel better by adding stuff. In most cases its these additives that cause our fuel to go bad quickly.

Wanna make have an endless supply of cash ?  Are "VERY" well connected ?   Come up with a fuel additive that your state adds to all pump gas.     There are those that are so self centered that being tied up, toe nails plucked & placed under their glued shut eyelids might not be punishment enough. I'm off on a tangent, chasing rabbits... Jeff