Need Recommendation

Started by SoCalAngler, September 01, 2020, 02:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Not sure where to post this so here goes.

I'm looking to do some Tarpon fishing next year in Florida. The problem is I'm not sure who to go with for a charter. If you have any recommendations that would be great.

I have done a little research on the net but some inside input would be nice.

Thanks,
Mark

Dominick

I've had great tarpon fishing in Puerto Rico.  Check out Fishinginpuertorico.com  Post up some Florida locations when you can.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Fly or conventional?  Lure or bait OK?  What time of year?    Florida is a big place and the hot fishing for tarpon moves around, but the guides usually have a home base. 

Also need to decide if you want to fish for numbers or jumbos.

This should help narrow down your search.

The top fly guides are usually pretty heavily booked.  With mostly older clientele and all the COVID problems in FL, I would expect that lots of this year's bookings will be deferred to next year, so things might get a bit tight.

-J

SoCalAngler

Ok,

We are looking to fish the Keys from May to July or maybe even the Atlantic coast.

Style as far as bait, lures or fly doesn't really matter as my nephew and I have done it all. When I say it all that does not mean fishing for tarpon but the styles are not unfamiliar.

Really I'm looking foe a captain who knows his stuff, with a safe ride and hopefully and find us some fish. 

jurelometer

Keys tarpon on the fly in May to July means that you have to be very on top of your game. These are some seriously jaded fish that have seen it all.   A good week will be one or two fish landed with a few more jumps and a couple more  eats.  My suggestion would be to focus on conventional gear if you want action, and are not that committed to getting one on the fly.

Conventional is a different story, especially if you are willing to fish bait and some of th deeper water spots.   I haven't done conventional for tarpon, so I cannot make any specific recommendations with any confidence.

-J