CS 551 - Drag Backing Off

Started by fishfighter, September 03, 2020, 02:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Hello to You "old" ProGear Gurus!

I have the CS551 that the drag star wheel kept backing off as I was fighting a fish on my last trip. Lost one because of it. Can I double-up on the spacer/washer between the handle and the star-drag? Doesn't seem to have enough space for two. Guidance n suggestions are most appreciated.

PS: I have couple of the 625 n 600 and they don't seem to have that problem. Their construction is essentially the same. Que pasa?

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

the drag star might be rubbing the frame or the metal drag washers might be out of order. 

the other possibility is rare and a serious problem.  it is possible that the star and/or the drive shaft threads might so badly damaged that the star is literally slipping by one set of threads under a load. 

put a small piece of tape one one of the arms of the star to see if it is backing off a few degrees at a time, or if it is just slipping by a whole set of threads. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

fishfighter

Thanks for the Suggestions.

Yes! I just serviced it/them during the quarantine and before the sporty-boats are running again. All seemed well since I have been working my reels when I first found Alan on Bloodydecks. I grew to love PG reels then.

Hope it's not what Alan said. Marking the star-drag to monitor the severity of the problem is a something I never thought of. May be, if I could get a SS nut with same thread and run it on the shaft to see if that would possibly re-set the threads.

How tight should I crank down on the handle nut? Only did it firmly. When I had my drag buttoned-down, the handle was wiggling side-to-side a bit.

Will update my progress. Thnx!

alantani

yeah, time to crack it open again.  obviously you do not want things vein-popping tight.  snug enough just not to shift around is best.