Sunny day in Southeast AK

Started by gstours, September 03, 2020, 02:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A rare treat for some of us is to have everything your way.   Here,s some fun we had a while back this summer fishing for halibuts with some old friends.  We were using bait anchored in about 140 feet of calm water,  I tried several jigs when I could,  as I was the bait boy.
  See what you think,  and wish you were there,  Till next time.    :)

Steve-O

Well that was a nice day on the water, Gary.  I'll be up that way....almost...in a week and half. Going back to Prince of Wales for Coho.

Word is lots of "liquid sunshine" this summer on the island. Haven't seen any rain in over a month...so I'm about to get rehydrated.

Can't wait to get there.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your information Steve,  butt it's been a lot wetter than normal this year.
   Show us some pictures after your trip if you can.   Our pink salmon season was the worst in 40 years.
Pinks are important for many reasons.    Just saying.   Coho is poor at best .   But you're in a different area.   Best of luck.   Glad you're getting away from your smog for a week.    Good fishing.🎣

Dominick

sure looks like a nice sunny day.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Thanks, Gary.

We only had smoke from the California fires for a few days and then back to sunny blue sky. Had some heat this summer for sure. A solid week of 100F....while down south towards St. George and Vegas they're baking nicely at 110F for a few days.

Took this pic a couple weeks ago during a hike up Steep Mountain. My house is in the photo on the right.  ;D

Steve-O

Oh and I have reached out to friends on Prince of Wales island in the Craig and Klawock areas. Fishing was great all summer with liberalized King Salmon harvests for all. Non-res anglers could harvest an unheard of 9 Kings...whereas a normal annual harvest is 3 fish. Thats' one a day, 3 for the year. No non-pelagics retained this year as you know. Coho harvest is still at 6 per day. I'm hoping to harvest 30 over the week I'm fishing.  That would be nice. We'll see how it goes in a week.

Gotta get there first! The COVID screening is the biggest hoop to jump through. The rest is up to the fish and me!

A normal daily limit from last year's trip. Fingers crossed.

Donnyboat

Thanks Gary, when we get nice calm sea like that, we call it a lily pond, Nice pic Steve, love that smile, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

Thanks Steve,  you will have a great break out there,  you're picture and smile holding up those salmon with the background of a rainforest stream is priceless.   You are a lucky man for a day and  week.👍🎣