Something new that’s not blue.

Started by gstours, September 03, 2020, 09:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I got a couple of these little octopus jigs recently and tried the purple one last week for most of a day,  off n on butt nothing even worth keeping.  The colors and details is what sold me butt maybe these are for nursery fish?   Time will tell I usually say.   
   But I'm going again in a couple of days.   So time will tell.

David Hall

They sure look like they would catch fish.

Rivverrat

If I were a fish I'd be all over them octopus... Jeff

jurelometer

Designed to catch fishermen :)

But seriously, this looks to be more of a shallow water design (wide and flat, and meant to hover off bottom).

I do like the TPE leg idea, just not the body for deeper drops.  But you are right.  Best to give it few more days at least to give it a fair shot.

Trout fisherman will tell you that the super realistic flies tend not to work very well, and trout are working with a lot more light and a lot more visual acuity than your average halibut.  But tackle manufacturers will tell you that realistic lures sell better.

Thanks for taking one for the team Gary.  I  always look forward to your experiments.

-J

oc1

Quote from: jurelometer on September 03, 2020, 11:22:31 PM
super realistic flies tend not to work very well,
-J 
That's really interesting, but maybe disheartening too.  All that effort, but there was no use in evolving past the diamond jig and pork rind.
-s

gstours

The little octopus jig has an assist hook now,  gets lots of strikes but nothing decent seemed interested.
We were fishing at both sides of the slack tide change and caught 6-8 small Hal, an Irish lord, and a cod.
It's now called the baby killer.🤣
  Later my friend puts on this bik yellow chartreuse jig and slams a fifty pounder.  😖

gstours

Butt by then the tide was running and I switched to another homade minnow jig and got some better fish 🎣   Time will tell,  looks aren't everything.   The smaller fish may be are looking for smaller food?
   Maybe maybe testing is needed.   Thanks for sharing your thoughts.    Have a great Labor Day.....

gstours

After trying this jig there's some things I don't like about it.
   1. It's expensive.
   2. It's kinda slow to decend.
   3.  The j hook could have been an eye to attach what you want.   At least a stinger.
   4.  The paint comes off as fast as my home maid jobs.
   5.   The heaviest ones are less than 12 oz. 
   6.  The articulated hook will help you from losing fish and this is a problem.
Butt it's got a well detailed casting and how they did this have no idea.   
     More testing is needed for sure,   Pictures will follow.  Actually I'd rather catch fish than test jigs.! 8)

Hardy Boy

I think the pound of meat attached to the lure has more to do with getting bit than the lure itself  ;). It was funny the other day when fishing we were catching butts on naked jigs no problem. I usually only add a small piece of skin/ meat to add taste/ smell but still allow me to work the lure and give it motion with out impeding it. The old spreader bar and chunk of meat gets it done and no jigging required............................. have fun and catch fish.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on September 09, 2020, 08:16:10 PM
After trying this jig there's some things I don't like about it.
   1. It's expensive.
   2. It's kinda slow to decend.
   3.  The j hook could have been an eye to attach what you want.   At least a stinger.
   4.  The paint comes off as fast as my home maid jobs.
   5.   The heaviest ones are less than 12 oz. 
   6.  The articulated hook will help you from losing fish and this is a problem.
Butt it's got a well detailed casting and how they did this have no idea.   
     More testing is needed for sure,   Pictures will follow.  Actually I'd rather catch fish than test jigs.! 8)

I  think that the J  hook is fixed to keep  the point as far way from the bottom as possible.  Even if the bottom is too soft to snag, it can still desharpen your hooks.  But agree that it limits your choices.

And Todd has a point that you give up lure action as the amount of bait you carry goes up.  On the other hand, an octopus head does  nor impart any action on its own, so IMHO, you need flared or reversed skirts, a scampi or wiggle tail, or something to get some motion going.   If you are carrying enough bait, then then no need for a skirt or set of legs that have lots of water resistance.   

And you are right about testing.  Testing new lures means spending valuable time fishing jigs that haven't caught anything yet.  Some are bound to be lemons.  But that is part of the fun :)

I think that you have reinforced the importance of the octo jig having a good shape  for sinking fast when fishing deeper or faster moving water. 

Good stuff!

-J

gstours

Like people have said,  this jig might be better suited for fairly shallow water and with almost no current.
  I'm disappointed butt not giving up,  as many others have performed better,  it's mabee just the luck of that day.  After testing some more jigs a better analysis can be given.  🤔

Dominick

Gary, how much does that purple lure weigh and where did you get it?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Dommie,  Charkbait.com. In California.  The weight shown is 10 ounces, and is available in 4 and 6 oz.
   Several colors are available.   Take your pick.  Located in soft plastics section.  Good luck 🎣 fishing.
About 25$ for the heavy.     ::).   
  Now for something that has blue.   This homade jig far out fished the pretty one in several days of testing.  It's 10 oz as well.🚣‍♀️