fin nor ofs 9500

Started by strike115, December 18, 2011, 04:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strike115

Hi,
I've bought a fin nor offshore OS 95 and I would like to use it for bluefin tuna fishing! Is it a good reel? I've bought this model due to its capacity and also for its drag power.

alantani

i know alot of people use spinning reels for tuna.  i can't.  i need the two speed feature. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

G'day and welcome aboard strike,
I did one of these a while back and there's a good bit of dialogue about the construction and capacities here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2788.0
Hope it's of some assistance.
Any queries, let us know.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

strike115

Thanks!
but I would like to know something more about the reel's durability and resistence, especially during hard fightings, like in tuna fishing.

strike115

another question...are there any kind of drag upgrade por mechanical features upgrade for this reel? I seem something like which cpuld improve the reel qualities and durability

alantani

switch to greased carbon fiber, if it does not have it already.a
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

It has CF already - three small on top of the spool and two large beneath - though they're not Carbontex.

It maxes at 60lbs, which would be enough for most applications.
I can't imagine hanging on to a lug-less spinner at those kind of settings though.
The only potential weak point (aside from the overall weight) would probably be the a/r pawl that binds against the inside of the rotor.
Tile suggested this system prevents twisting of the rotor shaft (which is a positive), but also thought the antireverse crown should have been made out of bronze with the option of replacing it if it wears.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Righto, Justin

strike115

Are there any kind of carbontex replacement for this reel? and what about the bronze pineon gear?

Bryan Young

If they are carbon fiber, just grease them with Cals drag grease and you should be fine.  Switching to Carbontex is not necessary.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

strike115

sorry if I exhume this old topic...but looking at the reel's drag, i tought to change the non carbon fiber disks to carbon -tex...if it's a good idea...where can i  buy the replacement parts in carbon-tex?

redsetta

G'day Strike,
Try Dawn at Smoothdrag: info@smoothdrag.com
Whether you'd notice a substantive difference between CF and C-tex, however, is up for conjecture.  ;)
The single anti-reverse pawl is probably the most glaring weak point.
All the best, Justin

strike115

can i do anything to improve this weak point?
just to be more specific...i would like to change the non CF disks...because there are some of them which are cotton made or stainless steel made...

Alto Mare

Hello strike, how do you like that reel. Alan Hawk doesn't recommend it and I was just curious.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

strike115

I like that reel because is cheap and it has a strong drag, and also because some italian fishermen are using it to catch bluefin tuna and they landed also 200pounds fishes without any trouble

Alto Mare

Very good, thanks for the info strike. Hey, I'm Italian but I only catch American tuna ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.