Fitting Carbontex Drag washers in 1600X and 2600X Daiwas?

Started by Wolfram M, July 16, 2021, 08:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

Picked up a 1600X and a 2600X the other day, both in serviceable condition. I've nearly got all the Apollo series (100x, 130x etc) so now I'm looking to find all the Silver series (1000x, 1300X, etc).

I've also ordered some Cal's grease, and two sets (8 washers) of the Carbontex drag washers for a Penn 155, which I have read here was the correct size for these removable-spool reels. I am waiting on ball bearings to replace the gritty, sandy one that I took out of the 1600X, which also happens to be the correct size to convert the 2600X to a three-ball bearing reel.

Now that I have the Cal's drag washer grease and the carbontex washers, I'm looking to rebuild the drag washer stack in both reels as the original stack had a leather washer in the bottom, and two teflon washers in the middle. The leather washers were both badly deteriorated and the smaller reel's washers had a lot of corrosion and grit in them, and the washers were pretty dirty for being teflon.

What would be the correct procedure here to install these new parts? Just lay the drag stack out, and replace the leather and teflon washers with greased carbon fiber washers?

Hardy Boy

Thats correct. I ordered mine from Dawn at Smooth drag or you could cut your own. You may have to measure and order from her list of different sizes .It will be a noticeable improvement.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

oc1

Check the washer thickness too so the overall height of the drag stack does not change.

JasonGotaProblem

Not a necessary step, but if you really wanna maximize the upgrade, Polish the metal drag washers while you have them out. A quick pass with 1000 grit sandpaper and a bit more work with 2000 grit paper, like 3 minutes total time investment per metal disk, will make a world of difference. I'm about to do that again myself today on a new (to me) reel.

Also what Steve said.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.