Whisker SS

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 07, 2020, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrasher

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 23, 2020, 02:35:09 PM
Quote from: thrasher on December 23, 2020, 01:29:49 PM
Jason, did you get the SS shipped from Joplin MO that was photographed on a outdoor metal table? It's missing the badges but the line capacity is identical to my Emblem-z 1500i which is pretty darn small. As we know, I'm no Daiwa expert but it would seem to be smaller than the 850 and if so I would say you got a good one.
That's the one. No idea what to expect but I know its gonna be a little fella.

Sweet, I saw that reel a couple days ago on the sold list and thought damn, I missed one. I think that reel will clean up real nice, looks like it was used then stored in the barn for years.

thrasher

I just got my SS850 in the mail and was just wondering if you got yours yet. I'm super interested if that is indeed a SS600 because I know it is a heck of a lot smaller than the 850.

If I read the rotor part number on your reel correctly(E3681-2) that is indeed a ss600 according to the schematics I found online. I am not sure why I'm more excited about your reel  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on December 26, 2020, 10:54:57 PM
I just got my SS850 in the mail and was just wondering if you got yours yet. I'm super interested if that is indeed a SS600 because I know it is a heck of a lot smaller than the 850.

If I read the rotor part number on your reel correctly(E3681-2) that is indeed a ss600 according to the schematics I found online. I am not sure why I'm more excited about your reel  ;D
I'm told it's in my mailbox but I'm 120 miles away. I'm super excited to see what I got.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

It arrived today. Definitely needs some cleanup and its got a noticeable rotor wobble, and it rubs at a certain spot while reeling. Might just need tightening somewhere. This one may be a candidate for its own thread as a restoration project.

Edit: paying attention to where the "rub" is and applying logic i conclude its at the point where the pin on the worm changes direction from up to down. Ok no more reeling til I give it a tune up.

thrasher

Man that is a tiny one, is it smaller than your gold ss700? I would definitely be interested in following a restoration thread.

I was surprised to see that both the main gear and the pinion gear were machined aluminum, the spool is an interesting design with this generation as well.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on December 29, 2020, 02:19:29 AM
Man that is a tiny one, is it smaller than your gold ss700? I would definitely be interested in following a restoration thread.

I was surprised to see that both the main gear and the pinion gear were machined aluminum, the spool is an interesting design with this generation as well.
It seems like exactly the same size as the 700.
Maybe thats what people mean when they say the modern Thai made models have better gears than the older Japanese models. I know the modern ones have a brass pinion at least.

philaroman

look at those corners (foot, rotor, bottom frame cover) -- BARELY USED!!!
smallest size makes it more valuable than thrasher's 850 (unless you need parts)...  hopefully, worm is just gummed up

check w/ thrasher, to make sure your rotor has a balancing weight, same place as his
don't know about Daiwa, but some Shimano from that era just had a hunk of lead glued to top of rotor
invariably missing, when buying used decades later

thrasher

I believe I read somewhere that these reels didn't get a balanced rotor until they went with a infinite anti reverse(corrected from instant anti reverse) in the next generation(all plastic gold colored).

thrasher

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 29, 2020, 02:49:16 AM
Quote from: thrasher on December 29, 2020, 02:19:29 AM

It seems like exactly the same size as the 700.
Maybe thats what people mean when they say the modern Thai made models have better gears than the older Japanese models. I know the modern ones have a brass pinion at least.

I remember you guys talking about Thai vs Japan versions but didn't really grasped what you were saying until now.

I thought the machined aluminum was an upgrade from the cast main gears I've seen and used in older reels  ;D Maybe I just don't catch big enough fish to have cheap cast gears stripped

philaroman

alloy main is expected; alloy pinion is disappointing

JasonGotaProblem

Not to split hairs but the modern ones have a silent AR not instant AR.

I see at least 4 listings for brass pinions on the 'bay for an SS700 and I am inclined to believe they'll be interchangeable. I may wager that $8 on finding out.

Machined main and brass pinion might be a winning combo.

2 sets of SS700 carbon drags arrived yesterday. I wagered $10 that those would be interchangeable as well. I'll try to find out tonight when I crack this fella open. Given the 673,836,948 other reels this size drag fits on per the smooth drag packaging, I'm optimistic.

Also when I mentioned the rotor wobble i just mean I can wiggle it with my fingers and it moves. I'm hoping its just a loose rotor nut or something.

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so my logic was that i should do the salt-prep-pre-service on the ss700 first so I can see what its supposed to look like before trying to repair the other one. Well, it could have gone better but it also could have gone worse. It feels a bit more sluggish, but then adding a bunch of grease could explain that. It does feel like there's a spot in the rotation thats a bit tighter and I'm likely gonna go back in and make sure nothing is amiss.

Every time I do something like this I tell myself I'm gonna take a ton of pics. Then I remember how greasy my hands get and how much I hate a greasy phone. For the JDM SS I might just put.my phone on a stand and set it on a timer or something.

Also i ordered a set of, well, pretty much all the gears from a modern SS700 on the 'bay for a pretty good price. I got it to upgrade whatever I find to be lacking in the SS650 when I open it up. I figured I'd do a once over on the stock parts now and open it again when the replacements arrive, but that was before i realized how tedious these are to work on. So odds are I'll set that reel aside for a week til the parts arrive.

JasonGotaProblem

I believe the problem was grease on the shaft. There isn't a ton of clearance between spool shaft and inside wall of pinion. My spool shaft may also be slightly bent. But it's working better now that I cleaned off the shaft and hit it with some oil.

Also I replaced the felt drags with carbon, and mirror-polished the metal drag washers. That actually makes a huge difference, the drag is incredibly smooth and feels a bit more linear. I may need to do that to all my reels.

philaroman

burnish/polish inside pinion -- that's probably never been done

SteveL

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on January 01, 2021, 07:41:27 PM
I believe the problem was grease on the shaft. There isn't a ton of clearance between spool shaft and inside wall of pinion. My spool shaft may also be slightly bent. But it's working better now that I cleaned off the shaft and hit it with some oil.

Also I replaced the felt drags with carbon, and mirror-polished the metal drag washers. That actually makes a huge difference, the drag is incredibly smooth and feels a bit more linear. I may need to do that to all my reels.

I use 3M 800 grit and 1500 grit wet and dry, then follow up with 3M Trizact 3000 and 5000 grit.  Trizact isn't cheap, about $8 for a sheet but it seems to last better than the wet and dry.  (I also use a couple of passes on Triazact to take any remain roughness off the edge when I sharpen a knife).