Whisker SS

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 07, 2020, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on January 05, 2021, 03:15:13 PM
Yeah I noticed the screw looked stripped and shields removed from bearings, definitely opened before. I said supposed to be there because the schematics show it but my 850 looked untouched but it was missing also. I just stripped a cheap PS1305 that is about the same gen as our JDM and it had a brass pinion but plastic bushings. I'll measure the pinion and post picks tonight, seems close in size. 🤞 
What i am extremely interested in, if you have a caliper and are willing to do some measuring, is the dimensions of that washer that sits on top of the pinion bearing, I've got a modest collection of small brass washers that came out of parts reels, I might be able to find a suitable replacement in there. Or, home depot or something.

I am concerned about that spool shaft screw though. The slider is also different from my spare one, or I'd consider drilling it out and replacing the whole assembly. I may still drill it out if I need to, but like i say its now functional.

It may just be freshwater only for now.

And I'm happy that the previous owner tried to maintain it. And a part of me is glad the goofball chose to use dry graphite to lube it. Had they used grease and oil like a normal person they may not have sold it. The other benefit is that dry graphite gets annihilated at the sight of denatured alcohol which i had on hand, so I was able to clean and relube the worm even without disassembling. I just wish they were more careful with the screwdriver.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

Quote from: thrasher on January 05, 2021, 04:22:02 PM
I thought it seemed weird as well, that's why I was curious about the 600. I can't find schematics that shows the drag stack.

I didn't even try it, just threw it on a shelf but you're are correct it does loosen up.  Something else I will do tonight, 😆

instead of eared on the bottom, to cover the graphite
start w/ CF that is eared or epoxied to spool, so only top surface is functional,
then: keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed -- that gives you a 9-stack
which has same total number of metal washers as original shimmed 6-stack,
plus, TWO!!! more FUNCTIONAL drag washers

thrasher

Jason

The PS1305 doesn't come with the worm washer. My Emblez-Z did have one and it was very thin. When you get the screw out of the stem there is a small washer on top of the pawl, very similar to the worm washer.

Philaroman

I took the top eared washer off and fixed the problem but I wonder if I should put both on the bottom or just leave it out.

philaroman

1) I edited the 9-stack idea while you were posting

2) w/ original configuration, you may need 2nd eared washer on bottom (as a shim) to reach max drag,
   OR you may intentionally omit it for light line -- who needs 10+ drag w/ 8# mono?
   could be an intended fine-tuning option that befuddled lesser minds & provided you w/ a bargain ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on January 05, 2021, 06:09:59 PM
Jason

The PS1305 doesn't come with the worm washer. My Emblez-Z did have one and it was very thin. When you get the screw out of the stem there is a small washer on top of the pawl, very similar to the worm washer.
I fear we may be talking about 2 different washers. The one I need to find a replacement for is item #22 on the schematic, pictured below. Part #375-8503

I found both that washer and the stripped screw for fairly cheap on the 'bay and I'll likely order them now, but I'm not finding an oscillating slider in case I need to do some aggressive drilling. It appears the only difference is the "arm" on the ss700 slider, but at this point I'm accustomed to being wrong.

This is fun!

thrasher

Yes, we were indeed talking about two different washers, I gotcha now. I can't find my digital caliper just an old dial one but  I did my best to convert to mm.
The washer from the PS1305, which I think is close to the 600 is .508mm thick and the washer from the SS850 is 1.016mm thick. I didn't measure the inside/outside diameters but I think they matched the inner race measurments. Not sure that helps at all but it helped me out. I drop the washer when I went to measure it and while I was on the ground searching I found the worm washer for the 850 that I didn't think was there. So thank you!!

Pinion looks different than yours but it is 39.75mm in length, yours looks flat on the gear side.

thrasher

I went ahead and put both of them on the bottom and no problems. I'll probably never fish it but I would have been upset if I decided to with how I had it stacked.

Thanks for catching that!!

JasonGotaProblem

Happy to be of service. Thanks for measuring for me. The ss600 and the 850 have the same part # for that washer. So that does help.

I do believe the carbon drag upgrade gives these guys substantially more than 10# of drag. It feels like i shouldn't even test it cranked down, I'm not sure the rest of the hardware can handle it. But the point of it all was smoother drag not heavier. I have an LT100. If i need the pulling power i got it.

But you oughta reconsider leaving this one on the shelf. Its a true pleasure to use. Especially casting.

thrasher

Yeah, I'll probably fish it atleast once at the boynton inlet when summer rolls around. It's a little bigger than I was expecting which leads me to my main point.

I was thinking how does such a small reel and a larger reel share the same bearing washer, I believe the pinion is thinner diameter on the 600/750. The 600/750 do share part #375-8503 but the 850 has part #371-2827, the main question is do both part numbers share the same thickness? Double check my numbers though, hate to have you order more parts that you can't use.

These are my first Daiwa reels and it's been a learning experience for sure, not like Penn parts.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on January 06, 2021, 01:12:55 PM
Yeah, I'll probably fish it atleast once at the boynton inlet when summer rolls around.
I keep forgetting you're a fellow Floridian. I hear there's a lot of snook down there. That would be a lot of fun on these little reels (in fact that fun is the reason i got into these).
It's a little bigger than I was expecting which leads me to my main point.

I was thinking how does such a small reel and a larger reel share the same bearing washer, I believe the pinion is thinner diameter on the 600/750. The 600/750 do share part #375-8503 but the 850 has part #371-2827, the main question is do both part numbers share the same thickness? Double check my numbers though, hate to have you order more parts that you can't use.

These are my first Daiwa reels and it's been a learning experience for sure, not like Penn parts.
I was apparently mistaken when I said it's the same part #. You're correct they are different. Thankfully the one i ordered was the part # I pulled from the ss600 schematic. So I think I'll be alright. I tend to misspeak a lot, but I also tend to double check stuff before ordering when the data is available.

Daiwa does tend to reuse parts across sizes. By my understanding a lot of the parts in the ss700 are shared with the ss1300. And my 600 isn't any smaller than my 700. In fact the gearbox is slightly wider, and the spool holds 5yds more line of 4# diameter than the 700.

These are night and day difference from my penns. I've impressed myself with my (knock on wood) success thus far in working on them without my clumsy arthritic and nerve damaged fat fingers screwing anything up. My experience working on reels can still be measured in weeks, i cracked open my first reel in October. I still have a lot to learn. But it's been a lovely distraction thus far.

philaroman

try a Baitrunner w/ "the works" -- that'll keep 'ya distracted  ::)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on January 06, 2021, 04:41:39 PM
I've actually seen quite a few older bait runners for sale for remarkably cheap, and have considered getting one. But the commentary I've heard on here has made me steer away from the entire concept. I mean how much work is it to set the drag super light and twist the dang ol' knob when you get a fish on? I fish mostly live bait and I've had no problems with that operation yet. I mean I'm game for a challenge, but discretion is the better part of valor. Or something like that.

philaroman

"twist the dang ol' knob" how quickly & TO WHAT SETTING?
ballparking from 0.5 to 2 lbs., while L/UL fun-fishing -- no problem, BUT
frantically mucking around w/ multiple revolutions of drag-knob to go from 1 to 10+ "mystery setting",
when trophy/dinner is hooked AND it's flesh-slicing braid peeling off...

thrasher

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on January 06, 2021, 05:03:32 PM
Quote from: philaroman on January 06, 2021, 04:41:39 PM
I've actually seen quite a few older bait runners for sale for remarkably cheap, and have considered getting one. But the commentary I've heard on here has made me steer away from the entire concept. I mean how much work is it to set the drag super light and twist the dang ol' knob when you get a fish on? I fish mostly live bait and I've had no problems with that operation yet. I mean I'm game for a challenge, but discretion is the better part of valor. Or something like that.

For me a baitrunner is more about being able to set the rod down in a hurry to grab another rod. Just click and drop, must quicker than twist, twist, twist and drop. However it is also nice to just turn the handle or flip a switch and you have the drag set precisely how you want it.  I bought my first 4500 in the early 90's(still fish it) and have been hooked on them since. Now working on them is a little more intense, I will give you that. I have a set of the second generation but just started looking into the first year all black ones. I have just been looking on the bay but they are priced to high for me  ;D

thrasher

I keep forgetting you're a fellow Floridian. I hear there's a lot of snook down there. That would be a lot of fun on these little reels (in fact that fun is the reason i got into these).

When I stumbled on this thread originally I never knew of a worm oscillation spinning reels but to hear some of you guys talk about them I had to get one. I grabbed the Emblem-z to load with light braid and see if I could blow it up on anything big ;D As a pier rat in the late 80's we would take our bait rods and try to catch all sorts of things with the smallest hook possible. We didn't have sabikis back then and had to tie our own with tiny gold hooks, we would use those sometimes. You ain't lived til you grabbed a snook with a sigma 025 with straight 4lb mono and a gold hook, it was a quick fight but a thrilling one! Man to be a dumb teenager again