Whisker SS

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 07, 2020, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: tincanary on November 18, 2020, 07:28:40 PM

From what I've read, the Thai models have better bearings and gears.  I dunno how true that is since I've never opened up a Japanese model, but it seems to be the general consensus.  Have a look here http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=79718
That was an interesting read. Especially the part about polishing the metal washers in the drag. I've never heard of that before but logically at least the concept checks out. Might have to give that some thought.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thrasher

Quote from: philaroman on September 08, 2020, 12:46:05 AM
BTW, there were also fancy (tan/gold?) JDM models for a few years:
internal trip; big roller; nicer (machined?) handle; more bearings
if it's that, POUNCE/RARE!!!

Sorry to post on an existing thread but since this thread started me down the worm oscillation hole I figured I'd give it a go. The first reel I bought was a Emblem-Z 1500i and just got an offer accepted on a SS850 like the one pictured in Philaroman post. I am a sucker for wood handles and I saw POUNCE/RARE so I did just that  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on December 22, 2020, 02:37:56 PM
Quote from: philaroman on September 08, 2020, 12:46:05 AM
BTW, there were also fancy (tan/gold?) JDM models for a few years:
internal trip; big roller; nicer (machined?) handle; more bearings
if it's that, POUNCE/RARE!!!

Sorry to post on an existing thread but since this thread started me down the worm oscillation hole I figured I'd give it a go. The first reel I bought was a Emblem-Z 1500i and just got an offer accepted on a SS850 like the one pictured in Philaroman post. I am a sucker for wood handles and I saw POUNCE/RARE so I did just that  ;D

I was just talking about this reel on the other thread. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Not in as good a shape as yours, but I only paid $50

I'm so freaking excited. The ss700 that arrived last night is gorgeous. If the 850 is an upgrade to that I'm in heaven.

thrasher

I got mine for $50 also, I hope we didn't buy the same reel  ;D

That SS700 in the other post looks very nice indeed, your friend will be stoked!! What lb ssv2 do you plan on using for yours?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on December 22, 2020, 03:22:04 PM
I got mine for $50 also, I hope we didn't buy the same reel  ;D

That SS700 in the other post looks very nice indeed, your friend will be stoked!! What lb ssv2 do you plan on using for yours?

I'm gonna go 10 lb braid on this. It'll hold 150yds. But im considering sticking with the daiwa theme and going for the x8 J-braid, and i kinda wanna go multicolor. I don't think daiwa samurai comes in 10 lb size, but supposedly the 15 lb is the same diameter as ssv2 10 lb. Decisions to make.

philaroman

sweet!  $50 total is cheap, IMO
"POUNCE/RARE" was meant for Jason who was looking at an affordable SS, already in US
the "fancy SS" seem to be available from Japan, but those are mostly well-used unlike yours
(I want barely-used, from mid-West, that never even smelled salt air, LOL)

should be all modern features minus instant A/R
sturdier than Emblem, but be gentle w/ that frail-bail
more fragile than later designs -- bail-wire more likely to come out of bail-head
(not necessarily broken...  just separates after years of use)

JasonGotaProblem

Mine shipped from Missouri. Not sure how a weird rare spinner that to my understanding was only sold in Japan ended up in MO, but given that the seller didn't realize it was an ss850, I suspect he doesn't know the history.

Mine will definitely see salt. But it'll see some enthusiastic greasing first. I'm just scared of how small the parts in there will be. I struggled with a 4000 spheros. This thing is tiiiiiiny.

philaroman

see salt -- no problem
lived near salt, BEFORE it got to my hands -- me no likee
I want condition like Thrasher's, w/ provenance like yours  ::)
I'll go $60 no prob.  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Turns out I misread the chart that I used to determine the model of the reel I have on the way. Its a 750 not an 850. So, even more rare, apparently.

philaroman

BTW, there's a smaller gold SS...  650(?)
that's the one I've occasionally browsed for, over the years
and that's probably a factor in my rare/expensive assessment
in retrospect, feel kinda' stupid
any X50 smaller than 1000 would have been fine
thrasher's 850 looks like a steal

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on December 22, 2020, 11:07:14 PM

Yeah for 50 bucks he got one in much better condition. And I may be wrong about it being a 750 as well. I was trying to use line capacity as my way to determine but I think I got it wrong. Its holds more than a 700 but less than an 850, but the body shape looks like the one pictured above and none ofnthe 750s I've seen look like that. I'm just gonna have to wait til it gets here and figure it out. I love a good mystery.

thrasher

I was searching the sold Daiwa SS reels on eBay and saw a silver ss600 and thought it looked right up my alley. Man I thought the ss700 that Jason was holding was small.

The POUNCE/RARE comment I made was sort of a joke, I had already purchased the reel. I just wanted a wood handle whisker and I am excited for it's arrival.

philaroman

BTW, there's a smaller gold SS...  650(?)
Quote from: thrasher on December 22, 2020, 11:40:51 PM
I was searching the sold Daiwa SS reels on eBay and saw a silver ss600 and thought it looked right up my alley.
prob. same reel -- that Japanese light-gold in var. fading stages & subject to eBay photography
can look like silver under "warmer" lighting, or light tan under harsh light

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 22, 2020, 11:22:28 PM
Yeah for 50 bucks he got one in much better condition. And I may be wrong about it being a 750 as well. I was trying to use line capacity as my way to determine but I think I got it wrong. Its holds more than a 700 but less than an 850, but the body shape looks like the one pictured above and none ofnthe 750s I've seen look like that. I'm just gonna have to wait til it gets here and figure it out. I love a good mystery.

yeah, that $50-850 looks extra pounce-worthy, but yours is from MAZURAH, DAMMIT !  
pretty sure it ain't never seen a snook  ;D  prob. a trout/crappie reel
w/ another decade or two left on the main gear, regardless of external seasoning

thrasher

Jason, did you get the SS shipped from Joplin MO that was photographed on a outdoor metal table? It's missing the badges but the line capacity is identical to my Emblem-z 1500i which is pretty darn small. As we know, I'm no Daiwa expert but it would seem to be smaller than the 850 and if so I would say you got a good one.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thrasher on December 23, 2020, 01:29:49 PM
Jason, did you get the SS shipped from Joplin MO that was photographed on a outdoor metal table? It's missing the badges but the line capacity is identical to my Emblem-z 1500i which is pretty darn small. As we know, I'm no Daiwa expert but it would seem to be smaller than the 850 and if so I would say you got a good one.
That's the one. No idea what to expect but I know its gonna be a little fella.