Whisker SS

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 07, 2020, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: thrasher on January 07, 2021, 12:42:49 PM
For me a baitrunner is more about being able to set the rod down in a hurry to grab another rod. Just click and drop, must quicker than twist, twist, twist and drop. However it is also nice to just turn the handle or flip a switch and you have the drag set precisely how you want it.  I bought my first 4500 in the early 90's(still fish it) and have been hooked on them since. Now working on them is a little more intense, I will give you that. I have a set of the second generation but just started looking into the first year all black ones. I have just been looking on the bay but they are priced to high for me  ;D

I have a 300 & 450 (each, parts/repair bought cheap) in various stages of restore/upgrade/up-bling,
can offer a few bargain-hunting/frankensteining tips, if you're interested in ole' original 3-digits
they're pretty simple, aside from the secondary drag which can be serviced as a unit...  some of the time, within reason

JasonGotaProblem

I dunno if it's appropriate to do so re: forum rules so mods feel free to delete if this is no bueno but...
Anyone looking to get into the older made in Japan daiwa whisker game, this SS750 stuck out as a good deal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234049468032?hash=item367e6f7680:g:h-wAAOSwk0FgxJ6V
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

Whisker sounds so much nicer than egg beater.

philaroman

just like, knuckle-buster sounds so much nicer than knuckle-dragger  ;)

JasonGotaProblem

Well done Roman. I was stumped and that's rare.

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on July 07, 2021, 07:19:00 PM
just like, knuckle-buster sounds so much nicer than knuckle-dragger  ;)

Hey, hey...  I resemble that remark.

philaroman

sorry, thought "knuckle-dragger" had more of a prehistoric/antediluvian vibe (fun jab)
apparently it degenerated to plain dumbA$$ -- certainly didn't mean that
just have a few lo-pros for occasional F/W kicks -- maybe I wouldn't like 'em so much,
if I had to maintain them for frequent S/W use AND fine-tune to milk distance

oc1

It's all good fun.

Maintenance requirements should be in the top two or three most important characteristics when evaluating a reel.

JasonGotaProblem

I just won the bid on an SS1300. And when that arrives I will have more daiwa reels than penn reels. It may be time for a new user name.

JasonGotaProblem

Got my SS1300 in today. It's a bit rougher looking than I expected, but it's also an older Japanese-made item.

It's got a lot of scratches, some corrosion on some exterior metal bits, and many of the decals appear to have been rubbed off. And the line roller doesn't turn at all. No big deal. Gonna try to crack it open tonight and see what I'm up against.

There's a moderate amount of parts online, so I am optimistic. What gives me the most hesitation is the light scratches on the spool lip. None are deep, and are probably more like scuffs, but this spool might not be gold anymore when I finish.

PacRat

Those spools can go for $50 when they come up. I wonder how much Daiwa charges for one? The line rolles should have a sealed bearing and is likely just crudded up. Take it apart and clean it up and I bet it frees right up.

-Mike

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: PacRat on July 19, 2021, 06:01:57 PM
Those spools can go for $50 when they come up. I wonder how much Daiwa charges for one? The line rolles should have a sealed bearing and is likely just crudded up. Take it apart and clean it up and I bet it frees right up.

-Mike
Yeah I'm optimistic about the line roller coming out just fine with a bit of oil and elbow grease.

I paid less than $52 for the reel shipped, so that makes me a lot more forgiving when it comes to aesthetic concerns.

foakes

If you can post a photo of your spool and reel — I might have a new spool in one of the Daiwa spool bins.

Can't promise until I can do a match — but it would only be a few bucks, if I have one.

Probably have around 1000 to 1500 to spinner spools — not counting 1000 to 1200 DAM Quick, Penn, ABU/Zebco, and Mitchell— which I will keep for restorations and repairs.

These Daiwas, Shimanos, Ryobis, Shakes, and many others — likely need to go bye-bye, dirt cheap, real soon.

Don't want to store them any longer.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Can't say no to that. Let me know if additional pics would help. Sadly there are very few markings left on the spool.

Also attached is the parts diagram.

Bottom 2 pics are from the internet of an intact reel

PacRat

Fred, While you are searching Daiwa spools...would you please keep an eye out for this one?

Thanks
-Mike