Condor 1.5 8/31-9/2 and vendetta 1 day 9/5

Started by Adams Khanh, September 08, 2020, 07:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adams Khanh

Hey guys wanted to give everyone some information about my last trip and a full fishing report please forgive me if there are typos etc... I'm writing this up on my iPhone...
. I've was running around all week trying to get all my reels and rods prepared. The trip consisted of 3 of my uncles Howie,Trinh, Hieu, and just bob, Phat, and I. Our plan was to meet at fisherman's landing few hours before the trip and hang out. Phat decided to cancel the night before and said he was to drunk to go, but ended up changing his mind last minute and catching his flight on Monday at 2pm and he uber'd to the landing from San Diego airport with his rods and reels.
Monday morning bob and I left San Jose around 6 am, and headed to seeker rods in orange ca. Got to seeker right about noon and did a little shopping. Pick up a about 10 blanks and left them there to grab them on the way back up. Bob and I left to grab some lunch soon after and had some pho out door dinning.  We stop buy Squidco so I could buy one one year Mexican license. Little did I know I could have just done it online sand saved my self 20 dollars.

The trip was a 1.5 day on the condor and my best friend captain jimmy was driving. We where all prepared to go yellow tail and dorado fishing, but little did we know the trip changed at the last 30 minutes before boarding to a bluefin trip. I took my uncles cause they wanted to give San Diego fishing A try. The hard part was my uncle Trinh is in able to walk due to an accident for 20 years. We made arrangements with the landing and the crew they where great and gave him an estate room so he didn't have to climb down any stairs.

Luckily for me I brought everything, but not everyone had gear and they where not prepared for the countless of heart breaks. A lot of guys didn't bring the right gear I saw plenty of spinning rods. A lot of bass gear.... leave your bass gear at home :/. The guy fishing with bass gear lost more than 5 fish. Fish size was mostly 30/40lb
Lb fish with occasional 5-10 lb.

Rod used
Seeker blue lighting 908 15-25 live bait
Paired with gold Trinidad 16 65 braid backing with 30lb 50yrd mono too shot with my fluorocarbon leader to my circle hooks

Terminal tackle used
Size 1 ring circle hook
Size 2 ring cuticle hook

Long soak fly  line sardine 20-30 lb flouro carbon
I used 20 lb black water and 30 seaguar gold expensive stuff and it was the last of my blakc water :/

Colt sniper got bit pink and blue Katy perry

And sinker rig

I was able to get one on the surface iron
The boat landed only 48
6 of them where mine
I went 6/8 The two I lost was was instant to my quick double uni.... and the other fish  chewed through
Bob was 0/5 Bob lost his first  two fish to hook setting. two too broken line and failed
Knots. one to the sonar..... at deep color
Hieu was 0/4 all broke off chewed through and broken line
Trinh(wheelchair) was 2/5 first fish he hooked by him self he didn't know how to use the reel put it straight into
Full and fish broke of instantly. 2nd fish was a hook and hand. 2 fish inbetween broke off and the last fish was by himself with a little bit of help. He only needed help with bait and everything else he did by himself with a little bit of help.
Phat was 3/1
Howie I believe was 2/5 lost a few to failed knot and broke line

We fished tanner bank... long boat ride

A lot of line breaking, a lot of failed terminal tackle , plenty of pulled hooks. We lost 2-3 times what we landed on each school. We stopped of foamers and breezers and sonar schools and couple bird schools I helped with glassing and helped find most of the schools and the last school we stopped on was a large foaming school that stuck with us for 3 hours and into the night. Ended up giving some fish away since some of the guys didn't get any.

Saw plenty of guys who where hook setting and pulling the hook right out as they just got picked up. It's not bass fishing guys... put it in gear and let it come tight and wind.

The light fly line game is very difficult.
They are very picky eaters, Phat was snake but all day until the last school he barrow some 20 lb blakc water from me. He didn't pack his gear for 20lb, because he wasn't prepared. It's always best to come prepared. It is better to have and not use ,then not have and wish your brought it.

Went home Wednesday and did a quick turn and burn back down to take my girl friend Julie on her first off shore trip. I do a private charter trip every year on the vendetta with ray. We where offshore freelancing for yellow tail and dorado. We left San Jose at 6 pm to make it down in San Diego at 2:30 am and slept in the car for one hour and got on the boat at 3:45. Super fun boat to ride on 14 ppl with bunks. Julie got sea sick even after taking Dramamine the day before, but she was a troooper and fished through it. I hooked and handed as  she wasn't able to feel okay do do it her self because she was sea sick, she landed 3 all nice fish around 10 lbs  the phots we took where ones with the nicest colors so she could have a nice photo with one. For us it was a one stop shop on a two kelps need to each other 6 hour boat ride on the dorado ranging from 5-15 lbs and rat yellow tail. The school disappeared for a while and we wondered why..... it was a baby mako swimming around and one of the guys hooked it. Makos are definitely delicious and it was put on the boat and the school came back. We ended passing the kelp off to the malahini. It was tough fishing for everyone we where the only boat that did well for a 1 day boat .  My next  trip is probably in November as Julie wants to go Gish again in November on a bigger boat so she won't get sea sick.

I just had a buddy got off the boat today also, he said it was a fly line and rubber band sinker, dropper loop bite. Fish 30-150lb. Couple fish brought up on the flat fall, he said fishing was tough, and a lot of pulled hooks and failed terminal tackle.  

Hope all this information helps with your guys future trips.

David Hall

nice report, the fishing down there is nothing short of incredible.
have to  get myself booked on one of those trips.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Thank you, nice report & good pics, glad you caught a few, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Khanh, congratulations on a great couple of trips.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Keta

Nice.
I hope you can make it up next spring.  I think I have another place to shoot too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain