The venerable Squidder ... for distance?

Started by beachbob, September 10, 2020, 10:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachbob

Back in the day (late 50's) dad and I cast tin and bait using box stock squidders (with plastic spools) bolted to our home rolled 10' glass surf rods we picked up at Reeds Tackle (they were medium brown in color, can't remember the brand but I don't think it was LamiGlas).  We did well when the fishies were around and closest to the shore.  We never modded the Squidders, just kept 'em clean, greased and oiled.  They were fine, but not for serious distance to the 2nd sandbar.

Long gone are those dayze, and those reels, too.  I haven't had a Squidder in decades, but have used and magged mostly Avets and Abu C3s.  They cast past the 2nd sandbar, wish dad could see that.  

So yesterday I picked up a minty Squidder that's pristine inside and out.  Fulla nostalgia.  It's got a metal spool that soon will be replaced with both plastic and aluminum versions (thanx Randy!).  The drag washers are already replaced with better ones and I'd probably want to load it with 20# mono and a 40# top shot.  But, if one wanted to get some measure of "more distance" out of it, without a major makeover, what would be best to do, if anything besides proper bearing oil?  Go to braid?  (I don't like that dangerous stuff, just my old ways).  New bearings?  Lighter mono?  (I fish for whatever's running, fluke, skate, bass, sand sharks, blues, sea robins, whatever :)  and use aerodynamic "Sputnik" sinkers that I cast up and build for "8 and bait" sometimes along with an IMP).  Mag it?  Or maybe just leave it be.  Hmmm.

Yeah, it's a lefty ... and yeah, I'm a righty.  ;D      

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

JoseCuervo

I think the best next step would be working on a more aerodynamic payload (weight and bait). Get everything in line and no more helicoptering.

The Brits use these breakaway jobbers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062OVOJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think they mainly stay attached and are reuseable, or can be ziptied on so as to not be disposable.

I bought some but haven't tried them out yet. I think there is definitely a learning curve with how you rig everything.

Rob

beachbob

yes, i already use a breakaway IMP, but thanx.
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Swami805

Clean out the bearings and lube with tsi321. Polish the spool shafts and inside the pinion gear it reduce friction. Make sure the reel frame is square.
Magnets will slow the spool down, less birdnests but less distance.
The rod makes a lot of difference too but that's another discussion.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

beachbob

thanx swami - yes, i have a can of tsi321 i got from alan years ago for just that purpose, great stuff!

i never liked magging, but some reels do need that trick, best if adjustable as i did with a C3. 

are folks getting really much longer distances with braid?

Swami805

You should get more distance because it's thinner much like you would using thinner mono. The potential is there for massive bird nests with braid so personally I have a mental block and don't swing for the fences so much. Very important to keep the line wet so you don't burn your thumb

oc1

There's no way I'd ever get more distance out of a squidder without magnets.  Without Ron's good thumb the only way to control it is the cast control knob.  Proportional braking (magnets or centrifugal) is always better than straight friction braking.

The problem I had magging a 146 with aluminum spool was finding enough space.  The squidder is naturally so "hot" that it needs a lot of braking.  That means a lot of magnets.
-steve

beachbob

thanx again for your inputs swami and oc1.

not going to braid, tried it, mono is more casting friendly for me.

whether i actually use 'em or not, i'll set up the squidder for static mags, i don't see it being all that difficult, and i've magged 5 or 6 other reels already.

kj magnetics has the perfect thin sizes in the stronger n52 neodymium flavor, too.

Rancanfish

I'm certainly no distance caster, but I used to swing for the fences with 4 oz's & bait.  I never had any reels with magnets. I recall being pretty pleased with some of my casts from a boat.  (Sorry, I am referring to my 140 Squidder).

I was using a 320gti and my buddy traded me on the spot.  I always thought I got the better deal.

I always used 15lb big game mono.  I use braid for jigging so I can feel the bottom, but all my freshwater reels still have mono.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Ron Jones

I would make sure the bearings are in good shape and lube them with TSI and you'll be on your way.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Was watching "Hawaii Goes Fishing" a few days ago. This pro surf caster was getting 200yds. With an 18ft. Custom 3 piece rod and a large unidentified Abu Amb.( no level winder) using ?lb. mono and 4oz. Sinker.
The kicker was his winding arrangement; 1st) form a "W" pattern with what looked like the bottom 1/2 of the line, a build-up high against each spool arbor, then a hump in the middle. The 2nd 1/2 of the line was piled first in one depression, then moved quickly over into the other depression.
His method according to him, kept the line from traveling too far across the spool(friction reducer?) and from contact with the spool arbors...
This was on a field. Casting off the rocks with a bait/weight rig got him about 150yds.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Makes sense Greg, have to remember to try that