Remembering a True Legend

Started by JasonGotaProblem, April 23, 2024, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmer and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonGotaProblem

It was a little over a year ago that we lost our good friend Keith (handi2). I still think about the man at least a few times a week. His decision to leave his parts collection to me was an incredible blessing, for which I'll always be in his debt.

I only got to meet him in person once, but I wish we had gotten to hang out more. He wasn't just brilliant AND generous, he was also a pretty cool dude.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

reelynew

Thanks for posting this Jason,

Keith was always replying to my questions and was the first to share some parts with me, asking for nothing in return.

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

foakes

Keith and I helped each other with parts for many years.

If I needed something, he would just send it out.

If he needed something, I would do likewise.

Dozens of reels and parts over the years —- never a dollar changed hands.

A good friend is never gone, as long as they stay in our thoughts.  Many of our good friends have passed on —- but are not forgotten.

——————————————————————

"Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.

Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't.  Like many fly fisherman in Western Montana, where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.  The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.  On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops.  Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. 

I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean

————————————————————

Thanks for posting, Jason.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Yes a very good man Keith was, he answered lots of questions for many members, unfortunately living on the other side of the world, I never had the pleasure to meet him, Jason thanks for this post, and also distributing some of his part to me, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

Keith was a good guy, all the members of AT.com that have few years here know that already, I just can add that I felt honored when he asked me to build a custom rod for his son who was taking care of him.

The Baja Guy

Squidder Bidder

Sorry to hear this - I must have missed it when it happened because in June of last year I sent him a PM and didn't get a response, which I know was out of character for him.

God bless handi2 and his family.

Bryan Young

Keith is a great guy. I miss home dearly. We would message each other every so often and chat on the phone as well. A breath of fresh air!!!

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Keith's legacy will stay alive and well thru the Ohana members. Keith sent me a couple reels, so I sent him a couple. I'll never sell either one, but will someday pass on to another member here to keep his legacy alive and well. I did upgrade the handle on one of his reels, and I'm sure Keith would give it his stamp of approval. I will fish for halibut with it this summer
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Reeltyme

The day I saw Keith was listing some of his treasures for sale my gut knew what was coming. Very heartbreaking indeed. We all lost a treasure of a guy.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

A good man who went thru a lot but didn't let it bring him down. Rest in peace
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Yes Ted, thats what you call a nice handi reel, looks great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

sabaman1

Keith always in our hearts and minds. Great man, always willing to help out a fellow human. He will always be a great inspiration to all the Ohana!
JIM

jgp12000

I have posted this before: Keith saw a 304 post I made,and gifted me 1-complete 304,& one parts 304.I use the complete one daily,Fred gave me a new bail for it,& I polished the handle 8) ,it works flawlessly,it is still catching fish.I got the parts to repair the other 304,also flawless now.I never met Keith in person,but sounds like he was a great man.